Macbook Confusion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by manu08, Jul 22, 2007.

  1. manu08 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    #1
    I'm going to be entering college in August & I'm currently a Windows (XP) user. I tried out my cousins Macbook Pro (not the latest one) & I love the OS. I want to get the black Macbook. Now, I'm aware that the new OS is coming out in October (prob end Oct?) but I don't know if I have the patience to wait for it & whether it is honestly worth (needy?) the wait. Might be worth mentioning that I will only be able to start using this Macbook by August 23rd-when I arrive in Canada, currently I'm in Sri Lanka (can't buy it here, prices are ridiculous) but dad is working in US. I mean I would be able to buy the OS with student discount for just $70. Also I guess we could say new Macbooks would be coming sometime between October & end January, right? I plan to install Windows on it just incase of no-choice use or if my university (McGill University, Montreal, Canada) requires me to use some Windows-only softwares for my degree (Business). I've got a valid XP Home/Pro license.
    Would I be kicking myself in the ass if I got the Macboook now & saw the upgrades the Macbook got in Oct-Jan or will they honestly be more or less insignificant? I download & watch quite a bit of HD videos, listen to music, surf the web, IM (I'm aware Windows Live Messenger sucks on OSX), email, just the general basics, no gaming!
    Kinda off-topic..If my dad bought the Macbook in the US (it's almost $200 cheaper w/o tax) & shipped it to me in Canada (shipping is about $40 - $60), let's say he includes a b'day card & says he sent it for my b'day:p , would I end up paying import duty?
    I would get a free ipod nano if I bought it now (before Leopard) which I would sell on ebay.
    If I upgrade to Leopard in the future, will I lose all my files, software etc.?
    Also, if I decide to sell the Macbook in the near future, maybe next May, what do you reckon it's resale value would be? Assuming it is used very well, and suffers from barely noticeable cosmetic defects, minor scratches maybe.
     
  2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

    DoFoT9

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Singapore
    #2
    hey there. i think the macbook is an awsome option for you to choose. its true that there is a new OS comming out fairly soon within the next couple of months. it really depends on what you are willing to sacrafice, or if you are willing to wait.

    personally id go and buy the MB now without hesitation. the leopard features wont really change your experience or what you do in any way.

    the macbook upgrades in the near future, i think, will not be all that big. you might see procesor upgrades or extra HDD space but nothing mayjor. the only big thing i can see happening could be the X3100's being put in them. that would be a pretty big upgrade tho so im not sure when this will happen. maybe around may/june next year??

    for your msn use adium, easily the best chatting program (doesnt support video/audio tho)

    i cant help you with the mailing orders, im not in your country lol.
     
  3. kolax macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2007
    #3
    I think a processor and hard drive upgrade would qualify as major upgrade.

    I'd wait for Leopard. You're better starting your Mac life with the greatest and latest. When Leopard is released, I'm sure there will be a massive buzz around and a huge amount of information. Any posts relating to Tiger might get pushed down the line and get not many responses.
     
  4. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #4
    I'm not sure if he should wait for two critical reasons:

    1. Does he qualify for a free iPod? If so, then its value far outweighs the cost of Leopard.

    2. Leopard will have issues during the first few weeks. Is it worth waiting all that time, and then have to experience problems (even if they are minute)?
     
  5. kolax macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2007
    #5
    He'd get the free iPod if he waited anyway...so don't see your point? :confused:

    Leopard will have problems during its initial release, but this forum will be full of information regarding it and solutions; the best way to learn.

    I don't see the point in buying a computer with an OS that will soon be out of date. If you can hold off for 3 months, you can have the latest and greatest.
     
  6. squeeks macrumors 68040

    squeeks

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Florida
    #6
    if its going to be your only college computer, be prepared to run windows on it as well so you can use IE a lot of college web based software only works with IE
     
  7. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #7
    Wait, did I miss something? How is he getting a free iPod anyway?

    Yes, these forums are a good place, so I guess any problems will be minimal.

    Can he hold off for three months? School does start in August for him, and switching computers mid semester is not the best idea. If you say he should wait for Leopard, then waiting until the semester ends makes more sense, just to give him some time to transfer everything and learn OS X in peace and quiet.
     
  8. squeeks macrumors 68040

    squeeks

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Florida
    #8
    college students get a free ipod when they buy a mac, well, a 200 dollar mail in rebate on one anyway
     
  9. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #9
    Yes, I'm aware, but that ends by September. Kilamite said that he would get it if he waited, making it sound like he was going to get one even if he waited for Leopard.
     
  10. squeeks macrumors 68040

    squeeks

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Florida
    #10
    i thought that was an ongoing thing...sure seems like they always have that deal...
     
  11. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2003
    #11
    no, the free iPod offer is only in the summer, for back-to-school shopping..

    Macs have really good resale value... look on eBay, you see 3-4 year-old iBooks still getting a pretty good price. Selling a MacBook after only a year would get you a lot of the cost back, I'd imagine.
     
  12. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #12
    It begins in June and ends in September. It happens every year, which is why you probably thought it was a constant deal: it isn't.
     
  13. squeeks macrumors 68040

    squeeks

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Florida
    #13
    that would be it
     
  14. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #14
    So you see, Kilamite needs to clarify what he meant. I think that if the OP can get a free iPod, he should buy now and just enjoy.
     
  15. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #15
    I'd imagine that macbooks can give you 60%+ back when you sell them. If you have Applecare, that will greatly increase the value of your macbook. A $1300 macbook should fetch about $800 in one year (assuming no Applecare). It could be as much as $900-$1000 if it has Applecare.
     
  16. manu08 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    #16
    Yeah I think I'm going to get the white Macbook with 2.16GHz processor/1GB RAM/120GB hard drive/Dvd-writer. With student discount it costs $1199 + a free ipod nano. So if I can sell the ipod nano as it is for about $120 - $150 it would be good. Then in dec/jan when the new Macbooks are released, if the upgrades on the Macbook are decent then within a week or two of the new Macbooks being released I'll sell this Macbook hopefully getting $800 - $1000 for it. I'd nearly break even so I guess shouldn't be too bad. Think I'm being a lil too optimistic or is this all quite possible in reality?

    Edit: I'll be purchasing the notebook in the US cause it's cheaper (don't worry my bro will use his student ID & get me the student discount) but I'll be living in Canada so I wanted to know, if I had any problems with the notebook, could it be replaced/repaired in Canada or would I have to bring it back to the US?
     
  17. manu08 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    #17
    Yeah I think I'm going to get the white Macbook with 2.16GHz processor/1GB RAM/120GB hard drive/Dvd-writer. With student discount it costs $1199 + a free ipod nano. So if I can sell the ipod nano as it is for about $120 - $150 it would be good. Then in dec/jan when the new Macbooks are released, if the upgrades on the Macbook are decent then within a week or two of the new Macbooks being released I'll sell this Macbook hopefully getting $800 - $1000 for it. I'd nearly break even so I guess shouldn't be too bad. Think I'm being a lil too optimistic or is this all quite possible in reality?

    Edit: I refreshed the tab in Firefox & a second post popped up. Sorry about that. Please delete it if possible. Thanks
     
  18. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #18
    Good choice. As for repairs, that can be done world-wide. Returning will work differently. Your brother will have to do it for you in that situation, because I'm pretty sure that Apple will wonder why he isn't using it if he purchased it very recently.
     
  19. manu08 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    #19
    Nah, I doubt I'll be returning it but I'm not quite sure if I should just purchase a black Macbook & stick with it for two+ years or get the white Macbook, sell it in January & get a new black Macbook after the sale. I think the black looks A LOT better. The thing is, if you think about it, the current Macbooks are already a generation behind. When are new Macbooks expected btw, around November, just before the holiday season or like January/February at their conference?
    I might even upgrade to 2GB cause I tend to run a lot of applications in the background. I read somewhere else that I better keep the stock RAM cause Apple doesn't service the notebook with 3rd party RAM, true? Also, I've been accepted into Michigan State University, I have paid the advanced enrollment deposit to secure my place in the university for the fall semester-it's my backup in case something goes wrong with McGill. Since I'm not in the US I can't purchase the notebook myself from the store. If I sent my dad all the acceptance letters etc. would he be able to take the letters into the store, show it to them & tell them it's for his son & purchase the notebook at student prices? Anyone bought with student discount before? What exactly is the procedure? How do they verify you are a student if it is bought online?
     
  20. manu08 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    #20
    I've got a question about the graphics processor. I'm planning on getting a 23"/26" HD LCD TV for my Xbox 360 which should/would support 720p/1080i *not* 1080p. I plan to use this TV as an external monitor for the Macbook, would the GMA 950 be able to output at 720p/1080i on the TV? Assuming the Macbook is upgraded to the X3100, would that gpu be able to output at 720p/1080i?
     

Share This Page