Macbook Confusion

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macbookfan32, May 4, 2010.

1. macbookfan32 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm a Mac newbie and I'm looking to buy a Macbook, but when I checked out the buyer's guide here, it states "not to buy" because the new models are due any day now.

But on the Apple website is states that the Macbook is "new and completely redesigned".

So what gives? Should I wait or have they already been released along with the new Macbook Pros?

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Well Apple's website isn't going to say "Macbook: Old and due for a refresh" is it? :p

The Buyer's Guide tracks the time between updates and compares it to the average. Since the Macbook is 196 days from its last update compared to an average of 194, this means the Macbook is due to get refreshed soon.

Don't know. Do you need a computer now? Odds are the Macbook refresh won't be anything spectacular, especially given the marginal and long-overdue updates to the MBP.

3. Theappmachine macrumors member

Theappmachine

Are you talking about the white Macbook?

4. macbookfan32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ha! I guess you're right, "old and end on the line" aren't exactly good marketing buzz words!

Yes, it's the current white Macbook on the Apple website that I'm after.

I don't need it right away, but in 1 month's time. Do you think the update will happen within that time frame?

Any speculations on what the upgrade will entail?

5. Drew n macs macrumors member

if you compare the price of the low end macbook pro to the macbook it is a lot more value for a little more money. i.e. if you buy a macbook for 999 upgrade to 4gb ram for a additional 100 bucks your only spending another 100 bucks for better battery life, supposedly better graphics card and slightly faster processor plus aluminum chassis fw and sd card reader, not really faster computer but lot more features for 100 bucks. better resale value?

when the new white macbook does comes out... if it has a 4gb ram and stays the same price well then i could see it being a tougher decision. After the last upgrade of the white macbook 10/09 vs 6/09 macbook pro I could see the macbook having a slight advantage at that point cheaper and close to the same space minus ports.

6. macbookfan32 thread starter macrumors newbie

So since the general consensus here is that the upgrade will be minor, I think I'll be making my purchase in the few weeks regardless of the available model.

Thanks!

7. mgclayton macrumors member

Take a look at the refurb store too. You can get a current Macbook for $849 ($150 off) and a previous generation MBP for $929 ($270 off).
    Apple refurbs are excellent and have the same warranties as new machines.

8. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

My guess is the MB will be updated around the time when the iMac gets updated which I am guessing to be around Sept despite what the buyers guide shows. The iMac seems to get updated every 8-11-8-11 month cycles so the buyers guide is deceptive. A month ago that MB was a much better deal than the 13" MBP but now the prices are more in line with 'relative' value so I do not expect Apple to do anything for a while.

If you have a www.MicroCenter.com near your then this is a great place to buy since they have been selling new MB's for only $799 ($200 instant rebate). Anyway, I bought one from them a few weeks ago with no regrets at all. Can't beat that price. I then spend $100 on picked up 4GB of RAM (which is really didn't need) and used the 2GB from my MacBook RAM to add to my iMac to make 6GB.

If you do not have a Microcenter store near you then I second the recommendation for a refurb www.refurbme.com

9. macbookfan32 thread starter macrumors newbie

What exactly is the deal with refurbs? Are they lemons that customers returned and then Apple repaired?

Has anyone here purchased a refurb and were happy with it?

10. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Refurbs come with the same warranty as new and you can also buy Apple Care for 3 years. They might have been lemons or they might have simply been returned after a week as people may want a different model. Either way they are not longer 'new' and apple has to give them a complete check and/or repair to make them good as new. My iMac is refurb and aside from the box it is impossible to tell it is not brand new.

11. Christina1971 macrumors regular

I haven't personally bought a refurb, but based on what I've read here and elsewhere, I would not hesitate to do so. I haven't heard anyone complaining about refurbs; most often I read people saying that they can't even see any signs at all of prior use. The components are re-tested and they are under warranty, so that should ease your mind a bit if you're afraid of getting a lemon.

12. macbookfan32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I checked out the refurb Macbooks at the Apple website, but the only issue I see is that they don't offer the $100 rebate of a printer which I also need. :(

13. TJaames macrumors member

Yes, but you're saving more money on the system in the first place.

14. Christina1971 macrumors regular

Yeah, you just have to weigh if the overall savings balances out losing on the printer rebate.

Did you decide whether you wanted to go with the Macbook or the Macbook Pro? Beacuse if you go with the Macbook, the Microcenter.com deal seems to be the best one out there at the moment.

15. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

According to the printer promotion small print "Configure-to-order and refurbished versions of these Apple computers qualify for this promotion." You buy the Mac and printer on the same invoice then you apply for the rebate.

16. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

17. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Macbooks are $799 at a microcenter near you and qualify for the POS printer rebate as well.

18. macbookfan32 thread starter macrumors newbie

The Microcenter deal looks sweet, but I'm Canada.

19. macbookfan32 thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right! I just checked this out on the Apple site and it looks like that's what I'm gonna do. Thanks! :D