macbook connect to windows sever 2003 via airport

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macdummy01, Aug 1, 2007.

1. macdummy01 macrumors newbie

hello to all....

i'm really lost here... i recently switch from PC to macbook.. (love it by the way) but since i use my mac at work i can't seam to be able to connect to our sever, the sever runs a win sever 2003.

i've added a user memac@severxxx.com on the sever in the workgroup

but my macbook does not seam to let me in, something to do with "the alias "xxxseverxxx" could not be open, because the original item could not be found" then when i click "fix alias" i end up in the finder window asking which item alias "xxxseverxxx" wants to open...

i can see all the other computers in the workgroup, and the sever but can't connect to it

now with my PC laptop the procedure is a lil different i have a shortcut of the my file and printers on the desk top, i double click->enter user name/password and voila i'm in... hence i have no problemo to the connect with the sever via wifi...

i do not use the LAN cable but via rooter, ie:
    tel line ->modem -> rooter-> Intelligent switch -> sever...

some one pls help me i'm really stuck here and need BIG time mac for dummies help...

can some pls help... and fast i'm about to have to switch back to pc due to the work loads....

thanks in advance...

2. sabor macrumors regular

sabor

In order to connect to a 2K3 network, the server that you are trying to connect to must have a share. The user you are authenticating with, must have enough privileges to access that share.

Create the share and then connect once again. I access computers at work all the time using OS X.

Good luck!

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Since the shares are already established (per your comment about file and printer shortcuts on the PC) you just need to know how to access those resources on the Windows network.

The quickest way to connect to Windows shares is to use the Finder. With nothing else open, look at the menu bar at the top of the screen. You should see File Edit View Go Window Help.

Click Go and a drop down menu will appear. Click Connect to Server at the bottom of the list. A dialogue box will appear where you put in the server and share info. In the Server Address field put in the following info:

smb://servername/sharename where servername is the name of your windows 2003 server and sharename is the name of the shared file folder you wish to access.

At this point you can all the share to your favorite servers by clicking the plus sign (+). In either case you must click Connect in the lower right corner of the dialouge cox.

The system will attempt to connect. Another dialogue box will appear asking for your workgroup or domain (depends on how your windows network is setup), your username on the network and your network password. You may choose to have your login info saved to the keychain so you do not need to enter them every time.

These credentials are most likely different than the login credentials you use to login to your Mac.

Once connected a network globe will appear on your desktop. You may double click on it to access your files.

You will repeat this process for as many file shares you need to access.

Once connected you can make this happen every time you login by adding the server connection to your login items of your user account on the Mac.

To do this go to system preferences by clicking on the Apple lightswitch square on the Dock or by clicking on the apple in the upper left of the screen and selecting system preferences. Once in preferences, look in the system section for the accounts icon. Click it. You will see login items as one of the menu bar choices. Click it. A list of items that are processed automatically each time you login will appear.

Drag the network globe representing your shared files from the desktop to your login items.

Now your shared files will be available everytime you login.
    Hope this helps.

Cheers,

BTW, never go back (to windows), for the easy path leads only to darkness.