Macbook connected to 37" LCD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SushiP, Nov 27, 2007.

1. SushiP macrumors newbie

I'm considering buying a Macbook and was wondering if I could connect it to a 37 inch LCD wides-creen (I've become addicted to streaming videos to the Wii's Internet Channel with Orb.) I heard that connecting a computer to a large screen uses up a lot of RAM and since the Macbook has integrated graphics would it slow it down? Also, which DVI adapter should I buy and will the Macbook's relatively low maximum external display resolution make a big difference?
    On a similar note, I'd obviously have to buy a wireless mouse and keyboard but I've never tried out the Mighty Mouse or Apple Wireless Keyboard so I don't how they would work in a set-up like this.

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I have a G4 Mini with 512MB RAM hooked up to a 37" LCD TV, and it works quite nicely and I haven't had any performance issues for checking e-mail, surfing the web, or playing DVD VIDEO_TS or other media. The resolution issue will depend on what the TV's resolution is. Mine is 1366x768, which obviously isn't very big at all so it hasn't been an issue. I also have a wireless Mighty Mouse and Apple wireless keyboard (previous white/clear version), which both work very well for me and have more than enough range. I do think the new slim wireless keyboards would be better though, since the old ones are comparatively ridiculously clunky.

EDIT: By the way, I just noticed today is your first day posting. Welcome! :)

3. SushiP thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to post. :D
    I guess the Macbook will work fine connected to the LCD, especially if I decide to get 4GB of RAM through Newegg. Anyone else have a feeling that Apple will merge the Airport Extreme base station and the AppleTV?

4. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Nope. They each have their own tasks in life. There is no way I'm going to pay for an :apple:TV just to use a router. :D

5. SushiP thread starter macrumors newbie

Airport already streams music, printer tasks, and file transfers. Apple could add video streaming to Airport and ditch the hard drive.

6. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

The :apple:TV already does that.It can stream content for your Mac via Front Row and other Mac iTunes libraries.

7. SushiP thread starter macrumors newbie

I know the :apple:TV already does that, but the next logical step with Airport would be to add Video streaming.

8. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I agree.I wasn't implying it does internet streaming.There are some tricks though.Audio wise.

9. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Oh - you mean the AirportExpress.... Add Video streaming output to the Airport Express by adding a video out port so that you can stream from your Mac to TV without an :apple:TV in the mix. Is that what you are going for? That might be good, but I could still see a market for the :apple:TV besides the AirportVideoExtreme since it has it's own UI and content on it's drive.

10. SushiP thread starter macrumors newbie

If it has video-out then you can have an interface. And you could have storage with airdisk instead of the built-in hard drive the AppleTV has. That way you could get a cheap AirportExpress and decide if you just want to stream video or store content as well. Also, with video-out you could use screen-sharing with your Mac to be able to use your Macbook's keyboard/touchpad while using your TV as a screen.