Macbook connection to CRT TV help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ETZepplin, Jan 26, 2010.

1. ETZepplin macrumors newbie

I'm trying to connect my Macbook to a CRT TV. I've googled and read all i can find online, but none of their solutions have helped me yet.

I have an adaptor that takes mini-DVI and spits out both component video and S-video. I first tried connecting via S-video directly to the S-video input to my television. No matter what resolution / freq setting, I can't get this to work. (I can get the audio to pass through via another cord, so I know the TV is looking in the right place).

Then I tried passing it from my computer through my DVD burner, which has an input option for S-video. Again i can pass the audio through in this manner, but could not get the video to pick up.

I've also tried using the component output. What I'm always getting is a message on the TV saying "Unusable Signal". It's an older RCA TV...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Erik

2. kevinspellman macrumors newbie

I'm guessing you're using this to connect it?

I would try to check that the S video cable you are using is functioning properly by attaching another device and using that same S video cable, because S video does not carry audio, and the signal for audio is pretty concrete over the years.

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

When you do get a signal passed to the TV it will be pretty nasty - sure it's worth the hassle?

5. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

+1.

Tried the same thing with my older Mac Mini some time ago - DVI to S-video to connect to a 20" CRT TV. The resulting image made me want to vomit all over the screen. Text is illegible up close, and too small to read far away; images are fuzzy and look horrible.

6. ETZepplin thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, this is the type of adapter, though it is a generic brand. I have used the S-video between my DVD and TV to test, so I know the cable is good. I've also tried using the yellow RCA component output, which produced the same results.

I don't think the type of macbook matters... but it's the black one from a few years back. running 10.5.

I know that this will NOT be a second monitor, as the resolution will not be good enough to use it as such. I just want to watch videos when seated across the room.... I have friends who have done this effortlessly with a PC.. so I'm disappointed that its proving difficult on the 'plug and play' mac...

thanks for your responses!
    Erik

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Yes, it does matter, because according to Apple: the Mini-DVI to Video adapter and its S-video and composite connections are not supported on MacBook computers with NVIDIA graphics cards fortunately this doesn't apply to your MacBook

8. ETZepplin thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, gotcha. I checked and I do not have an NVIDIA card, but an Intel one. So that shouldn't' be the issue. I noticed that signal modulators for TVs have an RCA video input... thinking about trying that, then connecting to TV via co-ax. I'm figuring signal is only going to get crappier the more adapters I put inline though...

9. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

One other thing I thought of, are you in a NTSC or a PAL country? Apparently some of the adapters are one or the other. If you don't see a setting in Display Preferences for NTSC/PAL then you have one or the other that is specific to the format and if you need the other it won't work.