Macbook connection to Samsung T260

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by slcook54, Jul 16, 2009.

1. slcook54 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Total noob here (and I hope I'm posting this in the correct sub-forum) and I did just search, just couldn't find an exact answer.

I just purchased a Samsung T260, and hooked it up to my Macbook with the cable provided by Newegg. The monitor is calling for a resolution of 1900x1200, (I found the maximum macbook resolution is 1920x1200), but when I go to Preferences > Displays, the maximum available resolution is only 1600x1200. I searched and found that the maximum resolution for VGA on the macbook is only 1600x1200, I'm assuming this is the problem, is it likely that they included a VGA cable instead of a DVI cable and this is restricting my max resolution? (sorry at work and can't check the cable). If so, do I just need a DVI-D cable and then more resolution options will show up on the display options? Also, any links for the proper cable?

Any help would greatly be appreciated

Steve

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

For DVI, you'll need the appropriate adapter for your MacBook, either MiniDVI-->DVI-D (plastic MacBook) or MiniDisplayPort-->DVI-D (Aluminum MacBook).

You can buy a DVI-D cable at any electronic retailer, Best Buy, Fry's, Newegg, Monoprice , etc etc.

Also, I don't know if you did this intentionally, but please don't use pass-thru or click-to-pay type link-redirects in the future, it's kind of annoying :)

3. slcook54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, I appreciate the quick reply and apologize for the pass thru - link (unintentional). I do have the plastic Macbook, but am also running a Bookendz Docking Station, which has a mini-DVI to full DVI port adapter built into it, so I don't think I need the mini-adapter, correct?

Sorry, I should have specified in the original post. Is it simply that the cable is VGA that is preventing the 1920x1200 resolution option from showing up? Once I switch cables will it show up?

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Ah, I see.

Yeah, the dock will give you the DVI port you need then. The monitor just cannot support 1900x1200 via VGA, so once you connect your DVI cable you should have that option come up.

As for my comment about the link...sorry, that was my bad. It ends up newegg.com is a commission junction advertising partner, and that's what the redirect was about. Now I feel like such a tool, haha...:(

5. slcook54 thread starter macrumors newbie

After looking at the docking station ports, its impossible for the cable to be VGA, it has to be DVI since the VGA ports and DVI ports are totally different, but the cable is currently plugged into the DVI port (total noob, I told you, haha). I think I have to switch the actual monitor settings from VGA > DVI...

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The monitor will know what mode it's on, as they auto-detect the VGA vs. DVI signal.

You can also try hitting "detect display" in the display preference pane by going System Preferences-->Display, that may help. Sometimes, Mirror vs. Extended Desktop will also cause a change in available resolutions, so you can play around with that as well.

Good luck!