MacBook connects to projector poorly.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by urbanskywalker, Nov 6, 2008.

1. urbanskywalker macrumors 6502

I use my MacBook everyday to each high school. I notice that it is very poor at connecting to the projector. Generally I have to restart several times to get it to recognize and extend the screen. My ibook was always very quick and no hassle. I also noticed a line on my screen at one point that went away when I dragged the curser over it.

Anyone else have connection issues?

2. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Are you hitting the Detect Displays button or just restarting over and over?

3. urbanskywalker thread starter macrumors 6502

I've tried both. The detect displays button does nothing. The screen just keeps showing no input. I deal with projectors a lot in education and the new MacBook connects a lot more like a PC than any mac I've used.

4. kraftzwerg macrumors regular

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

I am starting to get concerned about my Macbook purchase, since I will need to give a lot of presentations with it ...

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

My wife and I don't.

I often bring my wife's MB in to my office, and it seems to connect to all 3 of our conference room projectors just fine.

6. kraftzwerg macrumors regular

Does your wife have one of the new Aluminium MB's ?
    I am only concerned about these new ones ...

7. urbanskywalker thread starter macrumors 6502

I've done some more experimenting. If I have the MacBook set to Mirror display on, it has a hard time connecting to the display. It needs a restart to work, sometimes several. But if I use extended mode for the display it connect right away. What I'm now doing is starting the MacBook in extended mode, and then when it connectes, changing it to mirror. This has solved the connection problem. Previously however I never had to do this with the ibook.

How are others connecting the MacBook?

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I just plug mine in, and I connect to a different projector weekly. The only time I have issues is if the projector is ancient or really off-brand. Anything decent or less than five years old typically detects and works with little or no extra adjustments other than maybe changing to a different resolution. If the MB detects the make & model (shown at the top of the display preferences in that window), then it should be golden.

You may want to have it looked at by a Genius if you're able to get to an Apple Store.

9. Mr$Whale macrumors member

While I don't have my new macbook hooked up to a projector, I'm having no problems with it connecting via DVI/HDMI to my LCD tv/display. It picks up fine. Never had to restart or anything.

10. missya macrumors newbie

Connecting to an Infocus Projector

I have a macbook and am trying to connect to a projector as well. My desktop comes up but I can't get it to display anything else. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? thx

11. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Got new MB, haven't tested with projectors, but with many screens/TVs which essentially would be the same thing. Works great, plug in and choose mirroring or whatever.

12. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

If you are using "your" cable to connect try a different cable and see if the issue resolves itself.