Macbook connects to wireless, gets no internet (other comps fine)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bottleddissent, Jun 6, 2009.

1. bottleddissent macrumors member

My friend's MacBook (last generation?) will 'connect' to her wireless network, display a quick error (Wireless network does not exist), claim it is still connected, but get no internet. Connected to an ethernet cable coming out of the router it gets internet fine.

Other computers in the house (ancient HP PC, 3G iMac) and my iPod Touch connect just fine and get internet.

She took it down to the mac geniuses but they were pretty unsure of what exactly to do, since it's not like they were sitting in her living room.

I believe the router is a linksys, and her mac is running OS 10.4

I'm sorry the details are sort of vague, but frankly I don't know where to begin with this problem. I've tried resetting the cable modem and the router. Any ideas would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

2. neutrino23 macrumors 65816

Does it connect to other wireless networks like the Apple Store, library, Panera's, etc. If it connects to those at least we know the laptop is in reasonable shape.

What sort of security is enabled? Possibly the router is set to only connect to those other computers? Check that it is set to no security (at least for the test, you can add security later).

You say it connects but doesn't get internet. Look at the Network preferences pane (go under the Apple icon and choose System Preferences). It will probably say that airport has a self assigned IP address. This is an indication that the radio part is working OK but the protocol doesn't agree. If this is what you are seeing I'd think that the problem was in the router setting.

I'd try posting this problem on the Apple support forums. You're likely to get more help there.

Good luck.

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Did they check for Static ips / proxy settings that may be set in the airport? does this mac work outside of her house on another wireless access point?

4. cube macrumors G5

"network does not exist" makes me suspect the wireless setup of the Mac is not correct.

5. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Agreed, can you delete the network profile off and try and rejoin the wireless network again?