Macbook constant crashing..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by courboy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. courboy macrumors regular

Hi all,

I have been having a problem where my MB completely locks up, as in the screen freezes and no input device will do anything and I have to turn the power off and back on to restart it.

This seems to happen when I play a game, Football Manager 09 mainly, but recently the screensaver can trigger it, ie. it just stops working at random times. I have tried the repairing permissions on the disk utility and performed all the relevant system checks, but this has not solved the problem.

I have ruled everything out and it's rather annoying as I no longer trust the machine not to crash. I have come to the conclusion that I think it's the graphics card although cannot find any updated drivers unfortunately.

Has anybody else had this problem at all and if so, what did you do about it?

P.S. I have experienced the 'kernel' error in the past too, where the grey screen appears and says I need to turn the computer off.

Hope this is fixed in SL!

2. iStrat macrumors member

3. courboy thread starter macrumors regular

Brilliant, thanks for that.

Do you have a quick way of getting it to crash so I can show them in the store? I can't see that they'll believe it's a hardware issue though as when I spoke to apple care on the phone they said it would be software and to reinstall bla bla, which I did.

On another note, do you think they'll upgrade it to the new 'macbook pro' 13" or will they still have stock of the 2.4ghz macbook alu?

4. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

They will still have the 2.4ghz. Either that or they will give you a refurbished one.

5. iStrat macrumors member

Try running a graphic intensive game with the graphics settings turned all the way up for a few minutes. That should get it to freeze. Practice at home so you have it down once you get it to the store.

I hadn't brought it in yet because I'm able to do normal activies like surfing fine without crashing, so I have just been gaming on another computer, so it wasn't urgent. But now I'm hoping they will replace it with one of the new 13" MBPs. I think they'll try to fix it a few times first. If they can't fix it or if after a few failed repairs it's still doing the same thing, they should replace it with a new one.

6. courboy thread starter macrumors regular

I'm doing the same, the computer is working fine apart from when anything graphical comes on the screen, such as the screensaver for time. The weird thing is sometimes it takes a minute for it to crash and other times it may take 1-2 hours of playing before it happens. Rather odd.

I may wait a month or so until the old refurbished UMB have sold out so they have no choice but to give me a new 13" MBP, although I do think they'll just keep trying to repair this one and fob me off etc..

7. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

No, they don't do that. Either they replace it with the same model or give you something better (like a 13"MBP in this case)...that is there policy.

But, sorry OP, I have not heard of your scenarios, sometimes you need 3 hardware issues before that takes place...I wouldn't get your hopes up.

CrackBookPro:cool:

8. courboy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your advice both of you. I need to find a way of making it crash quickly to show them in the apple store, or I could be waiting an hour or so for it to crash at times!

I also have a feeling they won't just replace the unit and will keep sending it off etc, and leaving me without a unit to use :(