macbook core 2 duo ram upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by memoteran, Jan 24, 2008.

1. memoteran macrumors member

2. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

The more RAM the better. You should really get 4GB. Remember DON'T GET RAM FROM APPLE. Apple charges $150 to upgrade RAM from 1GB to 2GB where as OWC charges $99 for 4GB (2x2GB) plus you get to keep the (2x512MB) for selling or whatever you want.

3. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Of course RAM makes a difference. And with Vmware and Parallels you will need more for sure. Just like what people say, it doesnt hurt.

Only get 4gig if you have the SR laptop.

4. memoteran thread starter macrumors member

i usually buy stuff from newegg its pretty safe and decent speed
    but does my mac support 4gb?

i have a 2ghz core 2 duo macbook

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Newegg's great. If your Macbook has a GMA950 card, you're limited to 3.3gb. If it's got an x3100 card, it's an 8 gig limit. You can put 4 gigs in the pre-SR C2D, but it'll only recognize 3.3.

6. memoteran thread starter macrumors member

yeah i have a pre SR does having 3.3gig is totally worth it over 2gigs i have really hang up while opening raw files from my digi slr cam

7. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

I am pretty sure it supports 4GB because I do not recall any other 2Ghz MB C2D. Just to make sure, if you bought it before November, it will only support 3.3GB. If you bought it after November, it will support up to 8GB of RAM.

8. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

The newer model supports up to 8 GB of RAM?

9. Antimatter macrumors regular

Nah man it's only 4. I upgraded mine to 4gb on Tuesday, but I can't tell you how much of an improvement it was because I didn't even use it with 1 gb. Just go with 4 gigs, it's cheap enough anyways, and you'll never have to worry about it again.

10. heatmiser macrumors 68020

They support up to 8gb, but 4gb chips aren't on the market yet, so the practical limit is 4gb.

11. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

RAM doesn't work like that. The computer sends instructions to the RAM, and if there isn't enough RAM, there is a backlog of data. If there is enough, the computer only uses as much RAM as is needed.

Think of it as a pipeline. If the pipe is too small, water doesn't flow though quickly. If the pipeline is just right, water flows as fast as it can. From there on, no matter how much bigger you make the pipeline, water is going to keep on flowing at the same speed.

I drill my MacBook all the time; I often run 8 or more tracks in GarageBand or Live, I photoshop 50-100MB documents, and I usually have about half a dozen applications open, and I don't often get pageouts with 1.5GB RAM. I've tried using 2GB, and I really don't notice too much difference.

OP: Yes, you will notice the difference between 1 and 2GB, but unless you really drill your computer, you won't notice anything more than that :)

12. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

Heh. Okay for a second their I was like damn.... im getting me some 4GB's for the blackbook. :apple:

13. tsd57 macrumors newbie

Limit

How do I know my ram limit? How do I find out which Intel Core 2 Duo chip I have? (only the Santa Rosa chips support 4gb, right?)

14. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

When did you buy the computer?

If it's a Core Duo chip (mid 2006 to late 2006), it's 2GB
    If its a Core 2 Duo (late 2006 to late 2007), it's 3.3GB (or there abouts)
    If it's a Santa Rosa Core 2 Duo (late 2007 to present) it's 4GB

15. letswastetime macrumors regular

i would highly suggest upgrading your ram, just dont buy it from apple. i have a core 2 duo macbook and just purchased 2gb of ram from newegg to up the memory from 1gb to 2.5gb. ive heard this greatly increases the speed, my macbook has been running a bit sluggish lately. plus the reason i went for the two is theres always an option of adding more ram in the future.

16. djbrickhouse macrumors member

hi all,

Based on my date of purchase, I think I am limited to 3.3 GB (that is if I put in 4 GB, it will only see 3.3 GB). So I am thinking of going from:

2 x 512 MB

to

1 x 512 MB
    1 x 2 GB

or

1 x 1 GB
    1 x 2 GB

Has the theory that mismatched RAM sizes will hurt performance or not benefit performance been fully discounted? Am I ok to go ahead with mismatched sizes as noted above?

Has there been any change with specs? Are all macbooks PC2-5300 DDR2 667 Mhz RAM?