MacBook Core Duo and Optibay?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by eda, Mar 24, 2013.

1. eda macrumors member

I've got a white MacBook, 2.0Ghz Core Duo, 120GB SSD, and I just wanted to see if an optibay would work at all in it? I've had a look on MacRumors, but I've not found anything promising.

If anyone has experience installing an optibay to their Core Duo machine, that would be great if you could share some info.

Had a look on the MCE website and it doesn't say anything specific about having a particular machine. I'm just not certain on the connector cable, and don't want to buy the wrong one. :D

Any help is greatly appreciated ;)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They do work in older Macbooks. But you need to find a PATA one. The Macbook's optical drive for that model is a PATA drive. They do make optibays that have a SATA-PATA adapter in them so that they can take a SATA hard drive.

3. eda thread starter macrumors member

Okay great, so something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271093787458?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619 would do the trick? I'd want to spend a bit more than £3.99 though...

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That might work. I think Macbooks can take a 12.7mm optical drive. But they might take a 9mm one instead. You may want to do some research on the correct drive size for a Macbook.