MacBook Core Duo fan noise (refurbished)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by holycow, Dec 21, 2007.

1. holycow macrumors newbie

I just bought a refurbished Core Duo MacBook for a friend and the fan noise seems to be a lot louder than my own later C2D model. It's a little louder and not as smooth sounding... it's hard to explain, but it's kinda like a whirring noise. It's really noticeable to me only because mine is almost completely silent.

Is there anyway to get this fixed? Would staffers at the Genius Bar see this as a non-issue?

I'm starting to think I should've gotten a later C2D model without the SuperDrive instead... woulda been the same price :(

2. billmister macrumors 6502

I'm not a genius but maybe the C2D have upgrades that make the computer run quieter?.... Just a simple thought since yours is a Core 2 Duo and his is a Core duo. Another thing, it could be the Hard Drive. I hear some macs come with stock Western Digital, and others with Seagate. SO, i know when i opened up my imac to replace my 150gig hard drive with a 500gig, my stock was seagate and i replaced with Western Digital... I feel it's a tab bit more quieter than the seagate. Well to my ears.

Let us know.

3. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Have you tried forcing the fan to higher speeds to see if the noise changes or increases? My MBPs (older Core Duo) fan started to make a grinding sound, so I installed SMC Fan Control to prove that the fan is a problem (it's the right side fan) when I take it into the store for repairs after Christmas.

4. Dr. Bombay macrumors member

I've had the same issue with my refurbished Core Duo MBP. I noticed that the fans were pretty noisy about 8-9 months after I got it. I didn't do anything about it, but six months later it got worse.

I ended up replacing the fans on my own (didn't have AppleCare). If you still have AppleCare, I'd suggest calling up Apple to get it fixed.

5. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

Apple has fixed some of these issues that I know of. Some of the refurbished MacBooks are getting Energy Star logic boards with heatsink/fans that aren't compatible, cases the fans to run loud, in some cases at full RPM. Apple should take care of this, take it to an Apple store and I'm sure they will.