Macbook Core Duo: Kernel Panic

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Patrick946, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Patrick946, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

Patrick946 macrumors regular

I have a Macbook Core Duo (specs, with memory upgraded to 2GB crucial and the Hard Drive upgraded to 160GB Fujitsu, both by previous owner), and recently it has been getting Kernel Panics on a regular basis. I bought it used off of Craigslist about to years ago and it has always been a little iffy, but this is the first time I've encountered Kernel Panics.

I recently upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard 10.6.7. I've been getting Kernel Panics after having it turned on for about 15 minutes. It has occurred while using iTunes, the Java game Spiral Knights, and while using memtest.

I have tried resetting the PRAM, and repairing the disk and disk permissions. I would like to do a Hardware Test, but the boot disk that came with the computer is scratched to hell. I upgraded to Snow Leopard using an external Hard Drive as the boot disk, but I can't find a way to use that drive to do the hardware test. Since I haven't been able to run that test, I tried mem test/remember to see if the memory is ok. If I choose to test 1 GB it runs fine and gives a positive response, but if I choose all it gets a Kernel Panic about halfway through. I tried booting to safe mode to do the mem test, but it got a Kernel Panic there too.

Is there anything else that I can do to find the source of these crashes?

2. Patrick946 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I haven't gotten any responses for this, should I assume that there isn't anything I can do? Is this just normal for a MacBook of this age? I'm still able to use TextEdit, surf the Internet and move files around, and I'm hoping to sell it in a few months, so I'm really just trying to fix it on behalf of whoever I sell it to. If anyone has any tips, please let me know.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If memory test fails, try one chip at a time to see if one of them is causing it.