Macbook Core Duo: Leopard or Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Juanbond, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Juanbond macrumors member

Juanbond

This weekend my little sister asked me to try and upgrade her old Macbook since she can't afford to buy a new one. She is running OS X 10.4 (Tiger) on a 2.0 GHz Core Duo processor with, I believe, 512 GB of Ram. The hard drive is 60 GB and completely full.

My plan is to put in a bigger hard drive and upgrade to the maximum 2 GB of RAM. I've looked up the requirements for 10.5 and 10.6 and with 2 GB of RAM and a Core Duo processor I can theoretically run Leopard or Snow Leopard. However, my concern is that Snow Leopard is will lag since the processor is over 6 years old now. Will I be OK running Snow Leopard? Will Leopard be a better choice? Should I just stick with Tiger since that is what she already has?

She only uses her laptop for internet, iPhoto, iTunes, and Microsoft Office. Any advice is welcome.

Thank you in advance.

2. MacCraig Pro macrumors member

Upgraded to 2Gb of RAM it'll run Snow Leopard fine. I'd personally go for that, as its still supported with security updates and its 'optimised' for Intel processors rather than being the universal binaries that Tiger and Leopard were.

Plus as the laptop ages it will benefit by being on the latest OS it supports, especially with a majority of third party software beginning to require a minimum of Snow Leopard now.

3. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

I recently acquired a 1.83Ghz Early 2006 MacBook Core Duo. After upgrading the ram to 2GB it runs superb on Snow Leopard.

I also did put a Vertex 3 60GB (88 euro's) HD in, so the system flies. I can really see no lag whatsoever.:D

It runs Plex with .mkv really high definition videos seamlessly! It opens Word 2011 in 1-2 seconds. The system is as new (better than new)

4. Nikh macrumors regular

I use MacBook White (2006), and it works well even with Lion after adding some memory (2Gb, it costs almost nothing), plus SSD drive (64Gb or 128Gb also doesn't cost much).