Macbook Core2Duo 2.16 vs. New MacBook 2.0 Aluminum

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by donster28, Dec 8, 2008.

1. donster28 macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone! I'm sure this might been asked before so please excuse me for asking again.

I have just seen the new Macbooks at the Apple Store and I fell in love so to speak. I am eyeing myself on the lowest end 2.0 version.

I have a previous model 15" MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.16 which is fast enough for my applications (Blu-ray, HD-DVD movie playing under Vista, Garageband, Final Cut Express...). Just opened it up and upgraded the hard drive to a Seagate 320gig 7200 beast...and man, is it ever faster.

My problem is, as with others in this forum, the MBP 15" can get too heavy to carry around. I have been lugging it everyday now and I'm beginning to feel the strain.

I don't like to retire my MBP anytime soon, it's still a poweful beast. I plan of using it a home entirely as my main Mac.

Will the low end MacBook aluminum be a good portable alternative as far as power is concerned? I also play Spore occassionaly. I also plan of upgrading it's hard drive to the same 320 giger as my MBP. I can care less about the illuminated keyboard of the higher end MB.

Can I pick someone's brain on this? Greatly appreciated. :)

2. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

the power is sufficient for nearly any task except GPU intensive apps. Spore is playable but not smooth; source engine games play like butter thought at native res.

3. donster28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks very much or the quick reply sangosimo.

It's good to hear a positive comment. Spore runs smooth on my MBP with shadows disabled, but the later levels do bog down a bit, but still playable.

I guess I really wanted to know if I will get the same performance with the new MB as with my not too old MBP. I've been hearing that performance is slightly improved on the new MB compared to the old MBP Core2Duo. If this is the case then I'll splurge for the MB.

:)

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Kind of depends what kind of graphics card you've got on your MBP. If it's got the 512, probably not.

Try to google or search barefeats to see the difference between the two video cards in tests.