MacBook Core2Duo Backlight question ;-)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bombel, Nov 13, 2011.

1. bombel macrumors newbie

Hi gays and gals !

My Core2Duo MacBook is running very good, just upgraded to an SSD.
    My only complaint is the display color+brightness. Whites are not white anymore and the brightness and contrast are quite low, even compared to an older LCD-monitor I own.

I have a similar model MacBook latin' around with a broken mobo,
    I was wondering is I could just replace the *backlighting* only or is it one piece with the display unit ?
    I know the inverter can be replaced (source: ifixit), would that help ?
    Which part is responsible for the color/brightness, the inverter, ccfl, or everything ? ;-)

I'm only checking to see if I can get away with just replacing 1 part instead of the whole display :p

Tnx !!

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

It is possible, but very complicated, to replace only the backlight. If you are confident of your skills, go ahead and try it. Otherwise, I'd just replace the whole display. And, if you're sourcing parts from another MacBook, why not just replace the whole display?

3. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

I can't see it being a problem changing the backlight if both screens are the same size, i guess it's just a matter of mating the power to it, if it's simply a positive and negative for it, then i can't see how it would be complicated at all.

Best thing would be to open them both up or look it up on the net on how the backlight+inverter looks like and compare.

Have you tried adjusting the display in in the display preferences?

:confused:

Seems like he already have a broken macbook that he wants to take the parts from, looks like he's trying to avoid getting another macbook honestly.

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Yes, that's precisely my point. Even if all the connections are the same (which they probably are) replacing the backlight is a fairly complicated and certainly delicate process. If the screen as a whole fits, it would be better to just replace the whole thing.