Macbook CoreDuo to Al Core 2 Duo Upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shamrock1213, Mar 8, 2009.

1. shamrock1213 macrumors newbie

Back in 2006, I purchased a black Macbook Core Duo (2ghz, 2gb ram), the laptop still runs great, but another older computer has died and I am considering purchasing the new Al Macbook (the 2.4 ghz model) and moving this one down the food chain. Aside from the graphics upgrade which will be night and day, how big of an upgrade would this new laptop be? Would Snow Leopard perform significantly better on the Core 2, of will I not see any real performance gains until the i7 (which may not reach the non-pro Macbook for at least a year). Would I be getting a significantly better machine, or I am simply throwing my money away?

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Substantial.

Snow Leopard's impact on the cpu will be minimal. However, it should improve performance for apps that can use OpenCL.

You will get a 64-bit system. You'll double your SATA hard drive performance (3 gbps vs. 1.5 gbps), improved bus speed, improved RAM, and a better display.

3. GeneKam macrumors regular

Everything as mentioned above. And the new mac books with the Core 2 will have around 50% performance increase. Its an overall system upgrade for you. I mean if your old computer is broken, send the mac down the food chain and get the new one. You will not be disappointed!

4. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

Yes, significant

Faster graphics (5x) and more graphics memory
    Faster HD (2x)
    Faster RAM and more capacity (1.5-2x)
    Faster Processor and more cache (1.25-2x)
    Backlit keyboard (highly addictive)
    Much brighter and slightly better screen

ITs not night and day for routine use but the new MB feels snappier than my old Black MB. If you are a power user and push the old MB's limits the new MB has much higher limits (for instance ripping DVD's).

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you truly need it now, get it now. If you can wait, then wait. I'd try to wait until summer when a lot of people are saying that 10.6 will be released.

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I would wait since you have a working computer.

Another thought: Consider the $999 version (white) to economize. Many of the features that you will take advantage of with the aluminum are present in the white one as well plus:

Firewire
    Cheaper RAM upgrade
    If you own mini-DVI adapter, it still can be used

Again, these are just my opinions and I'm speaking from a first gen ownership level like you are.