Macbook corsair 4GB kit problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by oGu, Apr 10, 2009.

1. oGu macrumors member

I bought two sitcks of ram made by corsair (CM3X2GSD1066). I installed them in my macbook aluminiun 2.4 and I have some stability issues. All memory tests using even apple hardware test say that there is no problem but when watching videos or doing random taskes the computer hangs and the image gets distorted. Is there any way of making this memory work as I have seen that it works fine for other people in their macs.

Thanks.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The RAM isn't Mac compatible; at least that's what all the reviews say.

3. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Even if the ram did work, it could be just bad ram. Maybe time for a return.

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Can you post a link where it states this? I have the 4GB kit from Crucial too and have been having odd problems (Spotlight crashing often) and I want to return it but not sure I have much of a case because it passes the memory tests.

5. oGu thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the answers but I still don't know wether I can still use this memory. It also passes all mem tests so taking it back is not an option. Also could I wait for a firmware or efi update for my mac that would solve this problem?

6. oGu thread starter macrumors member

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

i called crucial and they acknowledged the problem with Macs then emailed me an RMA number. It's going back for a refund.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

getting 4GB to work in an iMac seems to be a bit of a pain. I have a mid-2008 iMac (penryn) and so far 2 sets of ram from crucial to go to 4GB have failed. Crucial thinks it's my fault - not inserting the ram properly, but I've switched back and forth several times and the original ram always works properly. Finally convinced crucial to take it back.

9. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I have a 4GB Corsair ValueSelect kit in my wife's Macbook and it has never been any problem. Of course, since its a white Macbook, its DDR2. I typically lean toward Corsair or Kingston memory myself, as I have bought both for years and never had any issue.

10. VladM macrumors regular

Funny, I used Hynix RAM (cheapest I could find) to upgrade my white MB and my UB MB to 4GB (so I bought both 2x2GB DDR2 and 2x2GB DDR3). No problems whatsoever.

Sometimes I think that these "made for Mac" offers are a bit of a ripoff.

11. mwdmeyer macrumors member

Hi oGu,

I am also having the same problem as you are. Same laptop and exactly the same ram, so it does sound like there is an issue with the Ram.

What a pain...

EDIT: Sorry it isn't the same laptop I have a MBP 2.4, but they're pretty close :)

12. hndn macrumors regular

Corsair freezes my computer every 10min. If you search throughout this forum, you'll find many recommendations for Crucial.

13. DPB17 macrumors 6502

I heard on another forum that Corsair were selling unmatched sticks of RAM. I don't know if that is true but it could be why you're getting these issues.

14. Mantronix macrumors regular

I'm having the same issues also. My 24" aluminum iMac keep randomly locking up. The problem started when I installed two 2gig sticks of ram in it. My best advice try ram from OWC or dish out $200.00 for 4gigs of ram from the Applestore. I have a new 13" unibody macbook and I want to upgrade it to 4gigs of ram but I'm waiting to find a reliable type of ram for it. Trust me you're not alone with this problem.

15. DPB17 macrumors 6502

I've got the 2.4 alubook and I installed 4gbs of OWC RAM and have had no problems with it yet.