Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oGu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
I bought two sitcks of ram made by corsair (CM3X2GSD1066). I installed them in my macbook aluminiun 2.4 and I have some stability issues. All memory tests using even apple hardware test say that there is no problem but when watching videos or doing random taskes the computer hangs and the image gets distorted. Is there any way of making this memory work as I have seen that it works fine for other people in their macs.

Thanks.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
The RAM isn't Mac compatible; at least that's what all the reviews say.

Can you post a link where it states this? I have the 4GB kit from Crucial too and have been having odd problems (Spotlight crashing often) and I want to return it but not sure I have much of a case because it passes the memory tests.

oGu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Thanks for all the answers but I still don't know wether I can still use this memory. It also passes all mem tests so taking it back is not an option. Also could I wait for a firmware or efi update for my mac that would solve this problem?

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
i called crucial and they acknowledged the problem with Macs then emailed me an RMA number. It's going back for a refund.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
getting 4GB to work in an iMac seems to be a bit of a pain. I have a mid-2008 iMac (penryn) and so far 2 sets of ram from crucial to go to 4GB have failed. Crucial thinks it's my fault - not inserting the ram properly, but I've switched back and forth several times and the original ram always works properly. Finally convinced crucial to take it back.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
I have a 4GB Corsair ValueSelect kit in my wife's Macbook and it has never been any problem. Of course, since its a white Macbook, its DDR2. I typically lean toward Corsair or Kingston memory myself, as I have bought both for years and never had any issue.

VladM

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2008
Funny, I used Hynix RAM (cheapest I could find) to upgrade my white MB and my UB MB to 4GB (so I bought both 2x2GB DDR2 and 2x2GB DDR3). No problems whatsoever.

Sometimes I think that these "made for Mac" offers are a bit of a ripoff.

mwdmeyer

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Hi oGu,

I am also having the same problem as you are. Same laptop and exactly the same ram, so it does sound like there is an issue with the Ram.

What a pain...

EDIT: Sorry it isn't the same laptop I have a MBP 2.4, but they're pretty close :)

hndn

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2009
Corsair freezes my computer every 10min. If you search throughout this forum, you'll find many recommendations for Crucial.

Mantronix

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2007
Louisiana
I'm having the same issues also. My 24" aluminum iMac keep randomly locking up. The problem started when I installed two 2gig sticks of ram in it. My best advice try ram from OWC or dish out $200.00 for 4gigs of ram from the Applestore. I have a new 13" unibody macbook and I want to upgrade it to 4gigs of ram but I'm waiting to find a reliable type of ram for it. Trust me you're not alone with this problem.

DPB17

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
Ireland, unfortunately.
I'm having the same issues also. My 24" aluminum iMac keep randomly locking up. The problem started when I installed two 2gig sticks of ram in it. My best advice try ram from OWC or dish out $200.00 for 4gigs of ram from the Applestore. I have a new 13" unibody macbook and I want to upgrade it to 4gigs of ram but I'm waiting to find a reliable type of ram for it. Trust me you're not alone with this problem.

I've got the 2.4 alubook and I installed 4gbs of OWC RAM and have had no problems with it yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.