MacBook Cosmetic Condition

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Andrew D., May 4, 2007.

1. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

So I went to my nearby computer store that has Apple products displayed to demo and try out. I noticed they did a clean up and reorganized a bit. Besides that, they also had their "demo" models for sale, quite a few of them. Two demo MacBooks were also for sale, Core 2 Duo but the low end kinds. When I went to open them up to check them out, the casing around the keyboard/keys was greyish, not the normal white. I was wondering is it normal for demo models to have a grey-tint casing since many people touch them or is this how they come? I'm guessing they perform just as well as any new MacBook, just cosmetically.. their not up to par. Thanks for reading!

2. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Mine's been like that since I first pulled it out of the box. It's supposed to be like that; Every MacBook I've seen is like that. Nothing to be worried about. ;)

3. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

4. Andrew D. thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the ones that were demo/for sale models were really grey.. I mean like this color ██████ but even a little darker.. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I thought the keyboard case area would be more white like this ███████ or atleast closer to that color. Bah!

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Was the casing discolored in certain places (e.g. where the palms touch when you are typing), or was it grey all throughout? It's normal for the casing to be slightly grey -- even the insides of the iBooks are a slightly off-white color, as opposed to the outsides, which are white. If it's that, and there's discoloration in the palmrests, you can probably clean it in a couple of minutes with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. If you're noticing that the entire piece of plastic is a different color than you expect... dunno, either you're crazy or it's a one of a kind. ;)

6. Andrew D. thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha, well I hope I'm not crazy! But yes, the entire casing around the keys and palm rest was grey throughout. I am guessing since it is a demo model or probably had a lot of discoloration from being a demo model, they replaced it or something. I guess I will skip on that purchase and just continue looking. Maybe I'll try to take a picture next time I head over there. I really hope I'm not losing it or anything hehe. Cheers!

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahh, got it. Take a look at this photo:

[​IMG]

See how the whole top surface is a different color than the keyboard or the side of the computer? That's normal, and similar to what I've seen in person. See the dark brown/grey spots? That's discoloration from wear (oils transferring from the hands to the plastic) -- it can typically be cleaned. But notice how it is only in certain places. If you see discoloration throughout, it's because the plastic just is that color.

I'd say, if it's a good deal, get it, unless you can't live with the color. I assume it looks different from the new Macbooks you've seen in person. If it's going to annoy you throughout your ownership, then it isn't worth saving the money, you know? :)

Cheers!

8. Andrew D. thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh man that's exactly what I'm talking about! You rock mkrishnan! I'm not losing it then, but I am losing it because I don't have a MacBook yet.. but that's another story.

Yeah, I was just curious about it. So it's normal? Are they older MacBooks or something? Still kind of awkward compared to the MacBooks that are mostly if not all white. Thanks dude for curing my insanity haha. A cookie for you, and maybe milk.