Macbook CPU+Heat sink Issue? Mac Constantly has "Shut down/ Restart" Message on deskt

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alphadog111, Apr 14, 2011.

1. alphadog111 macrumors member

**Kernal Panic Issue I THINK?***

Hi I am having issues with my White Apple Macbook 13" 2.4ghz late 2008 model...One of the macbook memory slots is damaged but the other one is good...It runs fine and all before until now... How do I fix this and salvage this mac? I took apart my macbook and I found out that the adhesive on the macbook CPU + Heatsink is look...I can not screw in any of the screws to the heat sink as it does not fit because it dosent seem the case has any screw holes in it ( I just replaced the bottom housing)...

What do I need to buy the make the gray adhesive under the heat sink and on the CPU it self to make it stick? Will it fix the "shut down / restart " (kernal panic screen issue? )

**I have attached pictures for you guys to see. Let me know what I need to do...thank you..**

Attached Files:

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Almost certainly the bottom case is wrong - that is why the heatsink screws have nowhere to screw into. There are 3 bottom cases - you need version 2.

I suspect you have v1 or v3. Check the part number - should be in the bottom left corner of the optical drive bay. The part number for the bottom case for your model is 815-9744.

3. alphadog111 thread starter macrumors member

how is it wrong though? The logic board fits in perfectly with the bottom housing case that I bought...as well the cd and hard drive..

As well what do I do about the heat sink problem?...the glue on the top of cpu the and bottom of the heat sink is coming off ( SEE ATTACHED PICTURES ) ...how to I glue it back on?... Any recommended tools and where to buy em on ebay? thank you.

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

The heatsink is attached to the bottomcase by 4 screws - IT IS NOT GLUED in place - without the screws you cannot clamp the heatsink to the processor and it will overheat.

The kernel panic may or may not have anything to do with the heatsink - usually it is ram but may be a faulty logicboard - try starting up in verbose or single-user mode (hold down Command and s) and see what errors you get.