Macbook CPU Safe Temps

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by happle, Jun 20, 2010.

1. happle macrumors 6502a

ok so i make and play music on my macbook. some of the programs i use can be pretty cpu intensive when making a full song or mixing. my cpu cores are usually 80% and 50% and they switch off. my temps range from 140-160f when doing so. i usually put a fan on my comp which keeps it at around 145f. but is up to 160f for extended periods of time safe for my cpu? am i damaging it or reducing its life time?

any knowledge on the subject would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

btw i use a late 09 mabook 2.26ghz, with 4gb of ram and a seagate 7200.4 hd

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Temperatures of 80°C (176 F) are okay, the CPU can take up to 105°C (221 F) or even a little bit more before it shuts down.
    Thus your temperatures are quite normal.

Using MRoogle will find you hundreds of threads about this issue.

3. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

i know my temps are within what the cpu can handle. but what im really asking is are these temps healthy for the cpu over periods of time?

edit: thanks for the fast and good reply btw.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Those temps are within the norm and will not harm your computer.

5. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok thank you. i was just getting nervous that i would reduce my macbooks lifetime by running it for hours on end with temps like these. other than that my macbooks runs at a cool 105-115f when doing everyday tasks. love this thing. and with my upgrades this thing is no slouch. works much better than my old desktop with reason 4 for creating music.

6. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

The thing you worry about most with constant temperatures like that is the battery. Yes, the temperatures you are at are within a normal range, but batteries aren't meant to be boiling hot for extended periods of time. So basically, what I'm saying is the laptop will be perfectly fine and won't suffer any damage. Your battery however, may need to be replaced sooner than normal. But who knows for sure? haha

7. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Idk because nothing outside the CPU seems to be hott. All of my heatsinks, enclosure and my hd are still at normal temps. Plus as soon as I close the program my CPU temp drops rapidly.