Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Has anyone measured CPU temps when the macbook Core-M is idle and under load using the intel power gadget?

I think it would be interesting to know given the MacBooks departure from the standard heat pipe/ fan assembly of the Airs and Pros.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
I have measured the idle temp of my macbook air 11 inch 1.4 Ghz, 4 GB, 128 SSD (2014 model) at a room temp of ~22oC and I get idle CPU temperature around 40oC (one safari tab open on apple.com and iMessage app active...)

The macbook retinas (MBR) appear to be a bit warm to the touch (both underside and top near the central part of the speaker grill (where the mainboard is located) compared to my macbook air and pro, which when idle are cool...

Im interested in what the idle CPU temp is... I plan to buy a macbook retina to replace my air and intend only light usage (reading PDFs, web browsing, word and excel document editing etc)... the screen on the machine is a joy to use

I do like my air as it is speedy, runs real cool and has fantastic battery life for what I do, only downside is the terrible display... this is whats making me think about replacing it with the MBR...

Attachments

• IPG.png
    IPG.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 98

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Awesome, thanks for the link...

I wonder if any people with Macbook retina would be willing to post some CPU temp results here in one place.. especially interested in the difference between 1.1 and 1.2 Ghz processors

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.