Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronni3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Chicago, IL
This morning I discovered a small hairline crack that starts from the front bottom left edge and goes all the way across to the middle of the Macbook. I am still within my one year warranty period and now definitely plan on purchasing AppleCare.

1) Will they cover this issue, since it is obvious that I had nothing to do with this crack? It isn't like the other ones where it could have been due to too much pressure from the top, this seems to be a defect in the case itself.

2) Is there any possibility that they would give me an exchange? I would definitely love to get either one of the new Macbooks, or an upgrade to a base model MacBook Pro.

3) I know others were having issues similar to this, and that a lawsuit was in effect...I guess my question is, what is the status of the lawsuit, or has there been some kind of resolution?

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
1) Will they cover this issue, since it is obvious that I had nothing to do with this crack? It isn't like the other ones where it could have been due to too much pressure from the top, this seems to be a defect in the case itself.

2) Is there any possibility that they would give me an exchange? I would definitely love to get either one of the new Macbooks, or an upgrade to a base model MacBook Pro.

3) I know others were having issues similar to this, and that a lawsuit was in effect...I guess my question is, what is the status of the lawsuit, or has there been some kind of resolution?

1. Probably.
2. Doubtfully.
3. No idea.

lawclerk

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
Mine has a crack on the right side palmrest towards the front. It actually came off and there is a small space now. I'm going to call them tomorrow... and most definitely, from what I've been hearing is that they are covering this under warranty.

For the lawsuit, I think now that they are actively replacing the cover, you won't have a claim. When (if) they deny you, then you might.

:)

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
You might be interested in this active thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/312012/

yoda13 posted some pics of his problem and other people on other forums (just google it!) have done the same - worth having a look to see if it looks similar to your problem.

This morning I discovered a small hairline crack that starts from the front bottom left edge and goes all the way across to the middle of the Macbook. I am still within my one year warranty period and now definitely plan on purchasing AppleCare.

1) From the above other thread and others I've read, some people are reporting that the affected parts on being replaced. Worth checking out the posted photos to see if it tallies with yours. However, yoda13 reported he was told that as it was a "cosmetic" issue, Applecare didn't cover it, but they're fixing it anyway.

2) Doubtful - especially if they can just replace the affected parts.

3) Haven't read anything about the lawsuit myself - but if you know others are having a problem, asking them might be a good idea.... In any case, they take a looong time so I wouldn't hold my breath and I wouldn't hold out much hope of victory.

At the moment, there isn't an official line on what's causing the problem. One theory, which sounds reasonable, is that it's caused by the plastic moulding process - which also affects and consumer electronics by other manufacturers. One poster on another forum said these cracks look just like the ones that happened on five Dell laptops at where he worked.

Have you checked the Apple support forums recently?

mick4394

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Flyover country

I just had my bottom case replaced, under warranty, for cracking. Apple knows about the Macbook case flaws, and takes care of them without argument.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.