MacBook cracked palm rest - will Apple fix?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by davjow, Jun 24, 2010.

1. davjow macrumors newbie

I have a 2008 white Core 2 Duo MacBook that is starting to display cracks in the palm rest. Does anyone know if Apple is still replacing that part of the case for free despite the laptop being out of warranty, as I believe they have done in the past for others? Is it at least worth making an appointment at the Genius Bar?

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

I'm sure people have had it replaced while out of warranty, just make the trip to the store.

3. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Yes, your computer does not need to be under warranty.

4. eman macrumors 6502a

As long as your macbook is in decent shape and not beat up (dropped/damaged etc...), Apple will replace the keyboard.

5. swizzleswirl macrumors newbie

they replaced mine without any issues, but it was in good condition aside from the cracks.

6. celticpride678

7. Jlizard27 macrumors newbie

Having the same problem

Yeah, I'm having the same problem. I've got chipping around my palm rest. Now, I've read different things on what they will replace, and I was hoping someone could clear it up for my. When someone says that they will replace the case top, does that mean the entire piece of plastic around the keyboard, and also the piece of plastic around the screen? And will they replace that?

As far as my understanding goes, I've read that they will basically replace everything on the keyboard surface except for the trackpad, like the palm rest piece and the keyboard. I've read that they will also replace the casing around the screen. Now, do they actually replace all this while not under warranty and for free, or do they not? And if they don't, can someone give me a complete list of what they will replace?

Also, like the OP asked, should I make an appointment with the Genius Bar, just so they know that I'm coming in?

8. eman macrumors 6502a

Yes, Apple will replace the entire plastic around the keyboard, including the keys (free). They most likely will not replace the bezel (plastic around the screen, unless you have Applecare (not free).
    Yes, make an appointment prior to going to apple.

9. marine-sniper macrumors newbie

My local :apple: store replaced my without a problem it took approx 2 hours to replace it. Everyone knows that this is a problem just make an appointment you want have a problem. :D

10. dolswagle macrumors newbie

My Macbook is a model of 2007. And it has the same issue too.

But I asked the Apple Store yesterday. The guy there told me that they'd fix it for free only if I had AppleCare.

Did I miss something? I just passed by the Apple Store and didn't take my Macbook with me though.

Thanks