Macbook cracking below palm rests!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    So I've had my white macbook for about a years. After the first 6 months my macbook started to crack below the right palm rest right on the seem between the inner and outter material. It broke off, resulting in a 3-4 inch gap right along the edge. The piece that broke off is very, very thin.

My left palm rest has started doing the very same a few weeks ago... I also have noticed that a friend of mine with a white macbook has the same problem.

Is this some sort of recognized defect? Like would I be able to go to an Apple store and have it replaced? If so, would the mac genius be able to transfer everything as is from my current macbook to my next one (AKA all passwords saved and everything, only difference is the hardware?)

Thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Take it to the Apple Store and they should be able to replace the upper case in under an hour if you're lucky.

3. gamer2502 macrumors regular

4. Hyde244 macrumors member

Hyde244

I have run into the same problem with my macbook, leaving a gap about an inch in length.

To the people who have had this problem occur, how long did it take for the Apple Store to replace the uppercase/palm rest?

I do need my macbook for school work and do not want to have to let it go for a week + time.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

38 minutes to replace my upper case in store.

Then again it took my friend 3 weeks to get his Macbook back.

6. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Awesome thanks! :) Now I just need to wait till I go home to Dallas...

7. jfan16 macrumors newbie

They should fix it for you. I wonder if this was rectified with the new whitebooks...

8. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Make sure this is done under your warranty.

If it is not then Apple don't want to know. You have to go to an authorised service provider. I've been quoted anywhere between 2-4 weeks, I'd rather put up with the cracks than go without my MacBook for that long as it is my only machine.

There's a Flickr group for this.

9. Yanwoo macrumors regular

A Good Story!

Had the classic crack on the front part of my black macbook next to the touchpad. Went to the Apple Store on 5th Av in New York this morning to get it looked at by the geniuses. No questions asked, fixed on the spot in about 15 minutes.

After reading some of the horror stories on here and other forums was dreading having to convince the genius to get this done. For today, 1 happy customer!

10. Yanwoo macrumors regular

By the way, checked out the new white macbooks and they're definitly more sturdy feeling around this area.

11. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Do we agree then that apple has fixed this problem? There seem to be less threads on the subject of cracking white MacBooks than there used to be. I am going to buy a new MacBook for her indoors this weekend and a minimum spec is required (I'm replacing a Mac mini) I appreciate the unibody is only £200 more but that's 25%. My only niggle is the case crack thing, though I am typing this on a Black MacBook which has no cracks. This will be the wife's computer for a few years, so want it to last.

12. jkimbro0316 macrumors regular

Hey quick question to the OP, what all did they replace? Did they replace the trackpad, top case, keyboard or all of these? Mine just cracked yesterday and I'm gonna go get it fixed on Wednesday. Thanks for any ideas you might be able to give me

13. TheScavenger macrumors regular

An Apple Store fixed my fiancee's cracked macbook in under 10 minutes. I guess they get a lot of practice :D

14. Prekesh macrumors regular

Prekesh

do they replace the trackpad too? mines really dirty and it doesn't really work well in some areas

i can't even clean it :S i always OCD about cleaning my hands while im on it..sigh, and i use my mighty mouse more than my trackpad anyway.

but yea as soon as mine cracks, it probably will, i want to get it fixed.

15. jamse macrumors newbie

i have a new polycarb macbook and it feels much sturdier than my gf polycarb macbook. i am actually waiting for my bestskinsever.com skin to come in so i can take this bad boy out into the wild (i apparently have to skin all my device, ipod, ds lite, phone, etc.., good thing about best skins ever is its half the price, but exactly the same, so it makes me less poor :p)

well anyways back to my gf macbook, its the 2007 2.2ghz c2 w/ 2gb of ddr2, the last 950gma chipset macbook before the 3100, about 6 months after she got it the edge of the case around the palmrest chipped away, but her macbooks case was flush with the palmrest, it seems that the palmwrest and edge are slightly ressesed now.

16. nick9191 macrumors 68040

If it cracks they will replace it and you will get a new trackpad.

Until then, some white spirit or meths on a cotton wool ball should do the trick.