Macbook cracking issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by timmtc, Mar 24, 2009.

1. timmtc macrumors newbie

I've read some posts about macbooks cracking near the palmrest area. Since I bought my macbook in May 2008, my macbook has developed a number of random cracks and chips. Here are some examples:

- About 2 inches of the bezel on the top left of the screen has peeled off after cracking.

- Again, about 2 inches of plastic cracked and peeled off near where the optical drive is.

- Horizontal crack on the top of the little indent to open the macbook

Unfortunately, there isn't an apple store near me so I can't really take it in to have them check it out. Does apple typically fix these for free? I'm a bit worried because I am extremely careful with the macbook yet these cracks and chips continue to show up.

Given that there isn't an apple store near me, how exactly would I resolve this problem? Thanks in advance.

2. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

3. timmtc thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't, but I can take some when my girlfriend gets home (she's got the camera).

4. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Call Apple. You'll probably have to ship it to them to have it repaired but it's better than just sitting on your thumbs. Your laptop is still covered under warranty until May 2009 assuming you didn't buy or haven't yet bought Applecare (plus I hear that they replace the top case even outside of the warranty because it's such a widespread problem).

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

No need to ship. My dad's macbook was repaired on-site in 1 hour.

6. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

Do they replace the entire palmrest? That would be a sweet deal.

7. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

On site as in.. an Apple store?

8. dubels macrumors 6502

Yes if you happen to be lucky enough to have an Apple Store near you they will replace the entire palm rest and mouse section for you under warranty. If they don't have the part on hand it will take about a day or two.