macbook cracking (like no other, i promise you!)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ashjamben, May 2, 2008.

1. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

i noticed the first crack about a month ago. this is not an actual picture, i'll try and take one later today at some point, but this is where it is:

[​IMG]

(i know thats an ibook, but its the only picture i could find of the bottom)

to me it looks like a heat crack, as its not just a straight line crack, its quite 'wobbly' and 'jagged' if you know what i mean. it didn't really bother me, being on the underneath and all, and when i went to the apple store about another problem i mentioned it and the genius just said its a surface crack and theres nothing much they can do. fair enough.

but this morning i noticed another one, right along the front edge. its starts just around the corner of the left hand side, near the little screw, and goes all the away along to the curved bit at the front, where it meets the palmrest. here's a picture, i'll try to get an actual picture asap: [​IMG]

anyone seen anything like this before? what do you think i should do? the genius said there wasn't much he could do about the first one, but it kind of annoys me being at the front now.

thanks for reading, i'll get actual pictures asap

2. I3eXa macrumors 6502

my previous macbook cracked at the same exact spot. was told it would be fixed under warranty but i didn't bother since i ended up selling it instead.

3. Matek macrumors 6502a

Well the positions of the cracks are a bit strange, but otherwise i'd say you got your regular MacBook cracking going on. I'd say they have to fix it anyway - i remember some MacBooks became yellow on the wrist-rest area and AFAIK they fixed those. "It's just a surface crack" shouldn't be an excuse.

4. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I have noticed that Apple is very good at replacing the cracked MBs, provided ofcourse, the cracks developed due to normal wear and tear. Take it to them and see what they have to say about this.

5. ashjamben thread starter macrumors 6502a

here's a new pic i've got. i tried shots further away but the camera on my phone isn't all that good and this was the only one that you could see the crack on clearly:

EDIT:
    that pic was too big, here's the link

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Definitely, take that MB in to the Apple Store and even if it's out-of-warranty you should get it fixed for no charge. :eek:

7. John01021988 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I've got the same crack on my MB. Just havent got the time to take it to apple.

8. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

so did mine, at the exhaust port. a long weird crack all along the plastic on my 2.0ghz macbook. I sold it as it was just out of warranty and couldnt be bothered with the possible hassle so i now have a 2.4ghz macbook :D

9. sohaib102 macrumors newbie

i hav same problem

my macbook also has same crack in front. I never bothered about it but now i got motivated and i will contact apple centre.... although i kno they will not do anything... :mad:

10. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Well, having the same crack in a while now. Bought mine on Dec. 07. Ill take it to the Apple Store soon. I really want to know if anyone has taken theirs, and what action did the Apple Store took. Do they Replaced it? Do they "repair" it? I live in another country and I cannot be taking/sending my MB each time it cracks(Second time it gets a keyboard crack).

11. ashjamben thread starter macrumors 6502a

hey, sorry for me not posting on here in a while, i've been away for a few days.

will someone let me know how they get on if they ring up applecare or take it back to the store. i'm tempted to do the same, but not straight away, i need it for coursework at the moment for college.

thanks alot

12. PedroQ macrumors member

The exact same thing is happening to me on my 7 months-old macbook.

Like yours, its cracking near the trackpad, on both sides, and lately it started just under the screen.

This is definitely not something I would expect of an Apple product, especially when its pratically new.

I'm going to the apple store asap.

Do they replace it or do they fix?

Thanks