MacBook cracking - still a problem.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ryannel2003, Oct 16, 2011.

1. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I've had my wonderful Late 2009 MacBook for about 7 months now. It's been a really great computer... one of the best i've owned. About 2 months into ownership it started to crack around the hinges. No big deal; I sent it into Apple and they repaired it and it looked great. Tonight I decided to look around the edge of the computer and there again I see a crack in the same place it was before. So I've set up a case with Apple to call me tomorrow so I'll find out then. I'm concerned about this happening again and I don't want a year old computer with cracks in the case. I might sell it after I get it back from this latest repair and pick up and Air or Pro. However I love the looks of this computer so we'll see how it works out.

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I assume apple would fix it as this was a widespread problem (hence the nickname crack books). I hope for your sake that it does not happen again. I would back up your content just in case. Think on the bright side, you get a brand new partial enclosure.

3. ryannel2003 thread starter macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Yeah I agree, but I don't want to keep sending my MacBook in for service especially when I do online classes. The crack i have now isn't bad or even that noticeable, but it will bug me to no end unless I have it replaced. I'm just annoyed that it's happening again after only 3 or 4 months after the last one was replaced.

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Well if it really bugs you, you could try to express your unhappiness. I have seen people with issues that have occurred more than 2 times that they just give them a new one. Give apple another chance, after that I would start to put my foot down, and request a replacement.

5. ryannel2003 thread starter macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I might do that, but I don't want to pressure Apple into giving me anything. This is the first Mac I've had to send back more than once, and I've owned 10 or so. I might just get it fixed and re-sell it on Craigslist and pick up a refurbished Air.

6. biohead macrumors 6502

Can you get any pictures? I've never seen a white unibody crack yet.

7. ryannel2003 thread starter macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Here's the best picture I could get with my smartphone. It's not a large crack, but it's definitely something that is noticeable to me. I just got off the phone with Apple and they are sending me a box over the next few days so I can send it in. I asked the young lady (who was extremely helpful) what would happen if this should ever pop up again in the future, and she told me that Apple customer relations would be able to check it out. My battery life has also deteriorated over the past few months (143 cycles and I only have 87% health) so I might be getting that replaced as well, though I'm not as concerned about that one. We'll see how it goes... hopefully this doesn't happen again because I really do love my little MacBook.

[​IMG]