MacBook cracks -- Black too, or mostly white?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by polaris20, Oct 8, 2008.

1. polaris20 macrumors 68020

First a question, then some information that may or may not have been posted already.

Question: is the palmrest and case cracking mostly the white model, or does it effect the black (either as much or smaller percentage) as well? It seems the majority on this and other forums has been white, but that could be coincidence.

Reason I'm asking is that I can't wait past Oct. 14th; I've got someone else waiting on my current machine, and I have to order something on or around that timeframe, I can't keep extending it. So if that happens, I'd be getting a Blackbook, as the faulty nVidia cards in the MBP are more troublesome to me than palmrest cracks.

That being said, this may have been posted before, but I thought it worth posting:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook-Core-Duo/Upper-Case/86/6/

I've done repairs on a few Macs for people by going off of iFixit, and most if not all were considered "moderate" difficulty, which I feel is accurate.

I'm sure it's been posted before, but may help newer folks know that stuff can be replaced after warranties expire, or whatever the case may be.

2. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

The cracking issue is a known problem with MacBooks, and Apple has little problem with fixing it now days. Current models however use reinforced plastic, so getting a crack is a lot rarer, not to mention if you do Apple will fix it for free outside of warranty.

The white and black MacBook's both use the same plastic, thus they are both equally prone to cracks. More people have white MacBooks, thus you hear about them more than black ones. If you google Black MacBook crack, you'll get a decent number of results.

3. polaris20 thread starter macrumors 68020

Good to know. I did do a Google search, but you raise a very good point in that the number of white books is greater in general, so of course the reported crack incident would be higher ratio-wise.

Good to know they have reinforced the plastic a bit. The MacBook as it stands now is very enticing; the only thing holding me now is the aluminum possibility as well as nVidia IGP, which would be useful.

Otherwise, the current line is by no means a deal breaker (as I sit typing on a Thinkpad with a 2.4Ghz proc, 3GB).

Thanks for the info!!:apple:

4. FCBarca macrumors member

FCBarca

Yeah, curious if these replacement fixes for the macbooks actually correct the problem for the long run or if this is a 'design flaw' that macbook owners will simply have to live with for the life of their machine :mad:

5. polaris20 thread starter macrumors 68020

It depends; according to MysticMage the newer ones have reinforced plastic, but earlier ones would not. If you got a used part, it could be weak as well.