Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exsanguinate

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2006
I've got a problem with my 1 yr and 2 month old Macbook. It has developed cracks on the bottom near the venting and also above the I/O USB ports etc.

I took it to an Apple service centre who told me that they have been told to refuse repairs on ALL cracks except ones that are by the wrist area. I argued my case a bit, and they agreed to send pictures to Apple 'technicians', though advised me that they are just reading from set rules as much as they are. They also mentioned that even if the palm rest area was cracked, they would NOT fix it due to the other cracks, which despite their incredibly similar nature to the palm rest ones I've seen in photos, apparently is an entirely different problem - namely mine.

I then got an email today that said that Apple have declined the repair due to the fact that it is a 'cosmetic issue which cannot be covered under warranty' despite the fact that the side crack is spreading inwards. They also advised me that the crack around the vents is 'only an issue with the first generation Macbook' and that they look at others on a case by case basis.

I'm at a loss why it has been refused because:

a) It clearly isn't cosmetic, it is structural.
b) The laptop shows no signs whatsoever of mistreatment.
c) Similar issues have been repaired before, as far as I can tell, even OUT of warranty (I have 3 year Apple Care).
d) The age of the machine.

I clearly haven't abused the machine, but apparently this kind of decay is to be expected?

After this I sent a long email which was forwarded to Apple, but again the repair was declined because it is due to 'normal wear and tear'.

The service centre keep trying to palm me off to Apple, but I have not the time or money (literally) to argue with them over the phone without the machine present, which is still in limbo at the service centre that takes me a few hours round trip to get to.

I think I am going to pick the machine up and take it to an Apple store as a last resort...

/rant

Have any of you had similar problems/cracks? Did you get yours fixed?

Any advice on what to do next?

Photos attached.

macbook002.jpg

macbook001.jpg

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I know how you feel, the underside of my MacBook has those cracks showing up everywhere. Most of mine are on the palm rest area and on the outer shell right below the palm rest area. A decent sized chip actually chipped off on the edge where the raised bump thing on the bezel meets the palm rest when closed. Thankfully I was able to save the chip, taped over it and then got creative with Apple stickers. I ended up buying a Moshi PalmGaurd for the palm rest area to help prevent future cracking. The build quality on the white MacBooks has to be the absolute worst of any Mac I've seen, as long as it lasts me until next summer then I'll be happy.

TJRiver

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
Mine was repaired under Applecare three months ago, no questions asked. Wonder why you are getting so much grief.......:confused:

woolyback

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
England
Odd, they repaired mine for the palm-rest cracks as it was "a known problem" and then I recently had the base replaced as I had a crack appear on the underside (looked like it was being pushed from inside to out).

First was an Apple authorised repair center and the second an Apple store.

Buzzworms

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2008
Tucson, AZ
I've got a problem with my 1 yr and 2 month old Macbook. It has developed cracks on the bottom near the venting and also above the I/O USB ports etc. I took it to an Apple service centre...

You spelled "centre" like a Canadian or Brit (I'm Canadian). Did you take the MacBook to an actual Apple Store? My '06 developed a similar crack near the vent/bottom case. The Apple Store-Genius Bar girl said no problem after inspecting it for only seconds - replaced the LCD as well (under AppleCare). I wonder if it simply depends on who you get on any given day?

exsanguinate

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2006
I've got a problem with my 1 yr and 2 month old Macbook. It has developed cracks on the bottom near the venting and also above the I/O USB ports etc. I took it to an Apple service centre...

You spelled "centre" like a Canadian or Brit (I'm Canadian). Did you take the MacBook to an actual Apple Store? My '06 developed a similar crack near the vent/bottom case. The Apple Store-Genius Bar girl said no problem after inspecting it for only seconds - replaced the LCD as well (under AppleCare). I wonder if it simply depends on who you get on any given day?

I took it to a 3rd party 'authorised service centre' (yes I am a Brit). I didn't realise the Apple store in my city was open at the time (they are quite scarce here).

Tomorrow I am going to try and take it there, since the other company just basically acted like robots reciting ridiculous rules.

Since posting this I've noticed another hairline crack coming out from the trackpad. No way is this reasonable wear and tear!

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If you have ill-feelings it would be understandable but I think the program for that fix has been closed and that's why Apple isn't repairing it? Also, the cracks are not restricted to only the palm area, it's for the whole computer.

exsanguinate

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2006
If you have ill-feelings it would be understandable but I think the program for that fix has been closed and that's why Apple isn't repairing it? Also, the cracks are not restricted to only the palm area, it's for the whole computer.

Well, the palm area restriction was just what I was told by the 'experts'.

It would be pretty ridiculous for the program to be closed if the issue still exists. They should either fix the design or stop the production of white Macbooks altogether in my opinion.

The below article is only a few months old and is what has led me to believe this should indeed be fixed as it mentions two key areas that my Macbook is cracking in.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/04/apple-tweaks-warranty-policy-on-macbook-cracks.ars

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
...The below article is only a few months old and is what has led me to believe this should indeed be fixed as it mentions two key areas that my Macbook is cracking in.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/04/apple-tweaks-warranty-policy-on-macbook-cracks.ars
Wow, if that article is true then I will probably consider bringing in my MacBook before I go off to college at the end of the month. I didn't buy an Apple Care Package, but according to this article I don't need one and that Apple might consider repairing it. Has anybody had any experienced anything like this with a MacBook out of warranty with these cracks? I am willing to bring my computer in next week if they'd replace it for free or even for a small fee as the cracks are all over my machine.

So has anybody had any experience with getting these cracks replaced on a white/black MacBook?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.