Macbook Craigslist

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stuart21, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Stuart21 macrumors member

Has anyone successfully bought a macbook off craigslist. That place is scam central. Every single macbook that I email about is some kind of scam. I just am amazed at how many scammers there are on there. I have successfully sold cars and iphones and bought stuff on craigslist but it seems when it comes to macbooks there all scams. I have had over 30 macbook I have emailed about and all of them except one were some sort of scam and the one that wasnt was asking way to much for his macbook pro.

2. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I bought my first Mac from CL, it was a Mac Mini. Shortly thereafter, I bought a MacBook (2007). Both were great deals.

Finally, my MBP was also purchased from CL. It was brand new, and I got it for 500 off retail + no tax. The seller was a really nice guy. Before buying that one I looked at another one. The different seller was advertising it as a 17 inch i7 but it turned out to be a 15 inch. It was new but the seals were broken. He wanted to deal from the back of his car and told me that he bought it on credit and was going be declaring bankruptcy. At that point I walked away.

Rules:

Always meet in person, preferably in a public place.
    Agree on price first
    Inspect the product being sold
    exchange money and goods

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I've sold almost 10 laptops both Apple and Dell on CL and never had a problem. I've bought a few, too, you can usually tell by the ads which ones will be fake - the ones where the prices are too good are a first sign.

4. Mag1c22 macrumors member

got mine from there no more than 2 months ago.

Had an almost 2 year old gaming desktop and traded it for his MBP late 2009.
    2.26 ghz 250gb hdd and 3gb ddr3.

i added 250 and we met up at a sonics haha, and that was probably the coolest guy i've ever met off craigslist (from all my trading and selling)

I definitely got the better end of the dealer, my desktop was worth around 450.

bought it brand new almost 2 years ago for 600

so in essence i got a macbook pro for around 700-750 dollars.

It's in immaculate condition as well.

Couldn't be happier (upgrading the ram soon to 8gb haha)

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Also:
    If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
    Trust your instinct; if something doesn't feel right, don't proceed.

Almost every Craigslist horror story I've read involved one of these two factors, often both.

6. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Yep, also expect to have the cash. Pay pal is a very bad way to buy ( for seller).

7. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

Great experience on CL - local tech was tired of dealing with this macbook pro (early '08 2.5 Ghz) so he sold it to me for $400. Got the battery replaced for free because it was defective, the ethernet problem turned out to be a settings problem and it still had a little under a year of Applecare left!

8. kim2272 macrumors regular

kim2272

Yeah, I bought my Macbook off of craigslist. Came with everything he stated in the post, original box, cds, charger, etc. I bought it for a good price and when I checked the serial number, it had Apple Care. I was quite surprised and pleased.

It was in pretty good condition. Some scratches here and there. I had a problem with the track pad and took it in to my local Apple Store and it took them two weeks to call me back from the time they had actually fixed it. So it just sat there for two weeks. I got it back in horrible condition. Called a genius, they overnighted a box and they replaced the screen, track pad, and the entire clamshell. I was very satisfied with the customer service I received over the phone.

I basically got a brand new computer after all that was over and they gave me a free iPod nano for my troubles. :)

9. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

I just got a MBP off CL, I asked ask for the serial and all so I could verify if it was still eligible for apple care and have an idea when it was purchased. Met them in a public location. One of my tips I always do is bring a friend, just incase something goes wrong.

10. deeesea macrumors 6502

I've sold a whole variety of apple products on CL, including a macbook. As long as you deal locally and meet in a public place (I'm canadian, so I usually meet @ the local Tim hortons because they have CC Recordings and are often quite busy). I never ship whatever I'm selling. Not to a different province, not to a different country. It's a good rule of thumb, saves you time and money :)

11. joonyaboy macrumors regular

joonyaboy

Got my MBP from Craigslist by trading him an HP Touchsmart.

Great deal for me!

12. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I've sold a number of iPhones, DS, Dell, and Mac laptops on Craigslist and have never had a problem with the actual deal. I always meet at a public place and only accept cash.

The biggest pain in the butt is just some of the scam e-mail and the back and forth with some people backing out. But for saving against ebay fees, it's usually worth the trouble. I have an iMac, MBP, and Dell listed right now and hope to sell soon.

13. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

i find craigs great (vancouver)

-found both my ibook G4 and G3 (both work good and nice prices)
    -found my 93 mustang convertible also on craigs

-always meet during day and in public place...just deal in cash

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I only use Craigslist to sell my computers.

I found that eBay is the scammers paradise. With craigslist whether you're a buyer or a seller is safer as along as you do the transaction in person and deal with cash only.

Its to be had by a scam as a buyer when you personally examine the MBP before handing over the cash to purchase it.

15. msriotdoll macrumors member

I think CL is great for selling electronics!
    I've sold 2 powerbooks, 3 macbook pros, and an imac all went super smooth.
    I take care of all my mac's and sell them for a fair price. I use ebay and everymac.com as comparison for price.
    I've bought two macbook pros ebay. Just got my i5 15" for $1500.00 sold my last macbook pro 2.53ghz for $1250 w/ applecare.

Meeting up in a public place with a friend (i'm a chick) and always use cash!

16. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

seems to me, from reading these posts, that CL is a great place to buy and sell Apple computers.

17. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Ive bought and sold many items on CL. I actually have my MBP on craigslist now and can't find a buyer. In my area its been hard to sell stuff lately due to all the scams and whatnot. Other than that, Ive never had a problem buying or selling on CL including computers.