MacBook Craigslist

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Andrew D., Apr 30, 2007.

1. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

So I've been looking around to see where I can purchase a MacBook and I found a possible buy on craigslist. It is the exact model I want, but there are a few problems. The seller is only selling the MacBook and Charger by itself, not installation/restore discs or Apple Remote.

My question is, what installation/restore discs will I be missing? Can I purchase them here or on eBay? How much do you think? Will this be worth?

Thanks again everyone, you all are great! Cheers!

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I wouldn't buy the computer without those disks. Maybe it was stolen...

3. Andrew D. thread starter macrumors 6502

I was actually thinking that as well, but I'm just curious on what the package is missing. I'm questioning the seller through emails seeing why he is selling it and what is missing or what not. That is why I am wondering what discs are missing and if they can be purchased later.

4. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

The missing disks are the install/restore disks that ALWAYS comes with a Mac.

Don't buy it.It's probably stolen.

5. gameguy3001 macrumors member

Those disks are basically a backup copy of the OS and the software that originally come with the computer.

I wouldn't suggest purchasing that computer cause it sounds like it may have a shady background. If you do however decide to purchase the computer, you could get the disks from AppleCare for about $10-$20 per disk. You could also try ebay to get them cheaper. You would just want to make sure they are either the standard retail copy or the ones for that model of MacBook.

6. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Ask the seller to run he Apple hardware test and report the results to you.

If he reports any results he is probably lying, as the Hardware test comes on the disks that ship with the computer. Might be a way to catch the seller in a lie.

7. Andrew D. thread starter macrumors 6502

Good game, I'll keep questioning this guy. Otherwise, I will wait for another catch to come by. Thanks you all!