Macbook crash, need semi urgent help.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mystikal, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

My girlfriends macbook (aluminum) crashed about an hour ago while she was on facebook and said it showed a black screen with green lines. When she restarted, it was just a black screen, preceeded by a spinning circle below the apple logo.

A few weeks ago her computer also crashed and her boot got corrupted. Could the former crash be affecting this problem?

How can I fix this problem? I have the install disk and her computer is backed up with time machine on an external HDD. Shes coming over in an hour and I need tips on how to get things running smoothly again.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Start the computer, holding the option key until the boot menu appears. Insert the disk, wait a few seconds until the disk's icon shows up on the boot menu, then start up to that. Choose your language, then go to Utilities -> Disk Utility. Run permissions and volume repairs, then restart to see if that fixed anything.

Once you've done that, come back and we can go from there.

3. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Allright will do. She should be here shortly. Any tips to prevent this from happening in the future?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

1) Figure out what the problem is.
    2) Fix it.
    3) Make sure it doesn't happen again.

We're still on #1 here. Don't get ahead of yourself.

5. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I repaired disk permissions and repaired the disk. The computer has started and is running for now. Thanks!

Ive been reading that these macbooks are prone to video card failure. Its inevitable, right?

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

"Prone to failure" means there is an unusually large number of incidences of hardware failure, not that it's inevitable. While there are many computers with that problem, the vast majority have perfectly functional video cards and experience no other hardware problems at all.

7. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

It crashed again as she was typing in word. Now, after a few minutes of the screen frozen, parts of it are flickering. Im going to run repair again, but I dont think that will get me far.

EDIT: Now green lines are faintly showing at the boot menu. Clicked on the disk, and now the black prompt "you need to restart your computer" is showing.

[​IMG]

EDIT 2: Heres this after selecting "English"

[​IMG]

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Looks like you may be getting your wish. It's either the graphics card, logic board, or display. Is it under warranty?

9. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Her laptop is not under warranty. :(

10. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

ouch, that really blows.

I can't believe people would spend as much as they do on macs and not buy applecare even though you can do it within a year of the purchase....

wait, didn't the aluminum macbooks come out in october of '08? Did you literally miss the 1 year cutoff by a matter of days?

if not get applecare NOW