Macbook Crash?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CBJammin103, Oct 4, 2007.

1. CBJammin103 macrumors regular

CBJammin103

One of my medium-sized textbooks was standing up tall-ways next to my Macbook; to put it shortly, it tipped over when I looked away and the edge landed on the palm-rest area of my Macbook. The video conference I was in froze up and the system instantly went unresponsive.

However, on a restart, everything seems fine. The hard drive checks out alright, no video artifacts or anything, battery seems fine, etc etc.

Is there anything else that might have been damaged that I should check out? I can't think of any other moving parts as everything seems to be working. I don't understand why the system would have locked up (froze, totally unresponsive to anything) like that if nothing was bothered. Could it simply be the system locking up upon detecting a sudden impact/motion change to prevent damage?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I'm gonna guess it was the sudden impact sensors on your hard drive. If so, then you've got nothing to worry about now. They were just doing their job to prevent your drive from messing up. :)

3. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Shouldn't the impact sensor re-release the platters after the impact is over though?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yes, but not if it gets a double hit in quick succession (from memory).