Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Now whenever I turn on my computer there is a FLASHING FOLDER ICON WITH A QUESTION MARK

I went into the "INTERNET RECOVERY" and tried to find a time-machine backup, there was none. I tried to go into "DISK UTILITY" but there was no option to "repair" only "Verify" was highlighted... I went into "install OSX" and there was no option for anywhere to install it.

what do I do?

is the hard-drive dead or something?

----------

I do not have the install disk anymore

It's either your hard drive, or the cable for it like KUguardgrl13 mentioned.

disk0 is the Internet Recovery image that gets downloaded from Apple and mounted locally, from which your system boots to facilitate an OS X Install or further troubleshooting. If the system was still able to see your hard drive, then the Internet Recovery image would most likely have been seen as "disk1".

The fact that you were able to start the system in Internet Recovery mode, and you mentioned it was a "mid-2011" suggests to me that your system is possibly an early-2011 model, which shipped with either OS X 10.7 or 10.7.2, (which may have included physical media) which was after Lion was released, but prior to the refresh in October 2011 (which would have made it a late-2011 MBP.) I seem to recall also that shortly after Lion came out, the early-2011 MBP's had an EFI update released for them which enabled Internet Recovery mode on them.

However, only you can confirm the exact model of your system. Easiest way is to turn your system over and reply with the model number listed on the bottom. It should begin with an "A", followed by 4 numbers.

For more information on the specifics of which OS X release came out with which system, go here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1159

Anyways, like I said, it's most likely your hard drive or the cable that attaches it to the logic board.

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Seems like I missed INTERNET recovery completely, after reading all the posts it shows his HD is NOT showing up, I actually mentioned that in one of my posts and then edited it.
Disk0 is indeed the internet "HD"/Image.
Sorry KUguardgrl13, My bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.