MacBook crashed! What next?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by grenadier89, Jan 14, 2012.

1. grenadier89 macrumors newbie

Early this week while I was typing a word document on my Mac (2006 MacBook) it randomly shut off. Well i tried to turn it back on and it made the traditional startup tone after pressing the power button, then this screen came up...
    [​IMG].
    It has now been stuck on this screen for about 18 hours. I tried restarting it by holding the power button until it turned off, then turning it on again and it still gets stuck on this screen. I have already ruled out the RAM because i took my 2 1gig sticks out put my old 512's in, but it didnt do anythiing. I have all my data backed up so I didnt lose anything, but i really need the mac for work. Anybody have any suggestions of what to do? Or any ideas of what is causing this?? The next step I'm thinking of taking is replacing the internal hard drive to see if that was the problem.
    Thanks for the help!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Turn it off, then turn it on, right after you hear the startup noise, press and hold command-V until the screen turns black with scrolling white text. Tell me what it get stuck on or repeats.

3. grenadier89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok i tried that and the last command that comes up is:
    "disk0s2: I/O error."
    and that keeps repeating every 10 seconds or so

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's a sign of a bad or failing hard drive.

5. grenadier89 thread starter macrumors newbie

damn. I guess ill be forking out 150 bucks for a new hard drive then. I should probably just buy a new one cause ive already had to replace my keyboard and cooling fan. I guess I kinda lucked out though cause the first time a backup my hard drive was a week and a half ago, haha
    thanks for your help!

6. Elbert C macrumors 6502

7. mannguyen macrumors newbie

MacBook crashed...

""""""""Early this week while I was typing a word document on my Mac (2006 MacBook) it randomly shut off. Well i tried to turn it back on and it made the traditional startup tone after pressing the power button, then this screen came up...
    It has now been stuck on this screen for about 18 hours. I tried restarting it by holding the power button until it turned off, then turning it on again and it still gets stuck on this screen. I have already ruled out the RAM because i took my 2 1gig sticks out put my old 512's in, but it didnt do anythiing. I have all my data backed up so I didnt lose anything, but i really need the mac for work. Anybody have any suggestions of what to do? Or any ideas of what is causing this?? The next step I'm thinking of taking is replacing the internal hard drive to see if that was the problem.
    Thanks for the help! """"""

Hi Intell,
    I have the same problem, and what was scrolling on the black screen reads:

Disk0s2:0xe0030005 (UNDEFINED).

Localhost: DNSResponder: Couldn't read user-specifed Computer name; using default bMacintosh - 00000000000b instead

launchd: com.apple.syslogd: Exited abnormally: Bad system call
    launchd: com.apple.syslogd: 9 more failure without living at least 60 second will cause job removal

launchd: com.apple.KernelEventAgent: Exited abnormally: Bad system call
    launchd: com.apple.KernelEventAgent: 9 more failure without living at least 60 second will cause job removal

launchd: com.apple.nibindd: Exited abnormally: Bad system call
    Jul 11 09:14:16 Localhost: DNSResponder: mDNSPlatformSendUDP sendto failed to send packet on InterfaceID 018007C00 lo0/4 to 224.0.0.251:5353 skt 9 error -1 err

Would you please help me with the diagnosis? Is it worth repairing? My deepest appreciation!

Man Nguyen

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That looks like a disk problem. Restart from your installation DvD and repair your internal disc. If that doesn't work, you'll have to reinstall Mac OS X.

9. mannguyen macrumors newbie