MacBook crashed! What next?

grenadier89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2012
Early this week while I was typing a word document on my Mac (2006 MacBook) it randomly shut off. Well i tried to turn it back on and it made the traditional startup tone after pressing the power button, then this screen came up...
It has now been stuck on this screen for about 18 hours. I tried restarting it by holding the power button until it turned off, then turning it on again and it still gets stuck on this screen. I have already ruled out the RAM because i took my 2 1gig sticks out put my old 512's in, but it didnt do anythiing. I have all my data backed up so I didnt lose anything, but i really need the mac for work. Anybody have any suggestions of what to do? Or any ideas of what is causing this?? The next step I'm thinking of taking is replacing the internal hard drive to see if that was the problem.
Thanks for the help!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Turn it off, then turn it on, right after you hear the startup noise, press and hold command-V until the screen turns black with scrolling white text. Tell me what it get stuck on or repeats.

grenadier89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2012
Ok i tried that and the last command that comes up is:
"disk0s2: I/O error."
and that keeps repeating every 10 seconds or so

grenadier89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2012
damn. I guess ill be forking out 150 bucks for a new hard drive then. I should probably just buy a new one cause ive already had to replace my keyboard and cooling fan. I guess I kinda lucked out though cause the first time a backup my hard drive was a week and a half ago, haha
thanks for your help!

mannguyen

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2012
MacBook crashed...

""""""""Early this week while I was typing a word document on my Mac (2006 MacBook) it randomly shut off. Well i tried to turn it back on and it made the traditional startup tone after pressing the power button, then this screen came up...
It has now been stuck on this screen for about 18 hours. I tried restarting it by holding the power button until it turned off, then turning it on again and it still gets stuck on this screen. I have already ruled out the RAM because i took my 2 1gig sticks out put my old 512's in, but it didnt do anythiing. I have all my data backed up so I didnt lose anything, but i really need the mac for work. Anybody have any suggestions of what to do? Or any ideas of what is causing this?? The next step I'm thinking of taking is replacing the internal hard drive to see if that was the problem.
Thanks for the help! """"""

Hi Intell,
I have the same problem, and what was scrolling on the black screen reads:

Disk0s2:0xe0030005 (UNDEFINED).

Localhost: DNSResponder: Couldn't read user-specifed Computer name; using default bMacintosh - 00000000000b instead

launchd: com.apple.syslogd: Exited abnormally: Bad system call
launchd: com.apple.syslogd: 9 more failure without living at least 60 second will cause job removal

launchd: com.apple.KernelEventAgent: Exited abnormally: Bad system call
launchd: com.apple.KernelEventAgent: 9 more failure without living at least 60 second will cause job removal

launchd: com.apple.nibindd: Exited abnormally: Bad system call
Jul 11 09:14:16 Localhost: DNSResponder: mDNSPlatformSendUDP sendto failed to send packet on InterfaceID 018007C00 lo0/4 to 224.0.0.251:5353 skt 9 error -1 err

Would you please help me with the diagnosis? Is it worth repairing? My deepest appreciation!

Man Nguyen

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That looks like a disk problem. Restart from your installation DvD and repair your internal disc. If that doesn't work, you'll have to reinstall Mac OS X.