Macbook CRASHED - What the **** happened?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -Josh-, Nov 19, 2007.

1. -Josh- macrumors regular

My computer hasn't been off or asleep for a while. I have been downloading.
    I was just using Handbreak for the second disk of a season, when, suddenlt after changing disks, my Mac froze and a weird alert came up telling me I have to shut it down, and to hold the botton, ect.

I boot it up and now my battery meter is 6% lower, at fully charged? It's stuck there now.

What is happening?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Check Console in the Utilities folder to see if the crash logs picked anything up. :)

3. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

I don't see "consoles" in disk utilities??

4. iBecks macrumors 6502

In utilities, not in disk utility...

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, it's a folder within your Applications folder. :)

6. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

"Crashed" is a bit extreme, no?

More like "Unexpectedly had to shut down" ;)

7. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

That sucks are you using leopard by any chance?

8. Cool6324 macrumors member

You had a kernel panic. No need to worry it's normal, well not totally but it happens some time. My macbook had one while I was using parallels the other day.

Check out http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106227 .

9. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

That is exactly what happened!!! Wow - Thank you! (and everyone else)
    Do I have to worry about any damages?

10. siphyn87 macrumors member

depending on what you were doing you may have some corrupted files but most likely you don't. If anything I would just download and run a system utility like onyx to clear all the garbage out and start fresh again. Also it seems azureus likes to cause kernel panics under leopard so If you like azureus be prepared to have a couple more atleast until a fix is made.

11. Ubercolios macrumors newbie

Usually not. If it happens often, then best to reinstall OS X, if you ask me.

12. tommyz23 macrumors newbie

Apple Crashes nearly everytime

I get the crash screen quite often. I was hoping the last update would have corrected the problem. I don't think it is a hardware issue, because Windows hasn't crashed once and I use it more than apple.

It is one of the new Macbook 2.2Ghz Black. This is not the experience I expected from the Apple.

Hopefully Apple will get the glitchy software fixed soon.

13. iApplemasteru macrumors newbie

my solution

my computer crashed once but it was pc and wat i did was i got a cd for it (windows xp pro) and i reinstalled it and now my computer works better and faster. i dont no if u can get a cd an reinstall and if u can't go to the place u bought and tell them that u were in the middle of using ur computer and it froze and shut down and wont do anything and tell u need a REPLACEMENT NOT TO GET IT FIXED if they will let u!!! and if they ask wat programs say safair and im and downloading something!

hope it works:eek:

14. Cool6324 macrumors member

Nope, it can happen once in a blue moon. Even if it happens again next week, don't flip out. Now if it keeps happening, run the apple hardware test...?? Well the SR MB (and im not sure if any intel) doesn't include such disk(at least mine didn't). I guess someone else can chime in...... (i'd be happy to see a response)

EDIT
    You insert the install disc #1 and press and hold down the "d" key. This will run the hardware test.

15. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

were you on airport using a unknown name router?? cauz mine does it.

16. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all so much -
    So I guess I have concluded: Don't do anything or be worried unless it happens again? (It hasn't)

By the way, I was using Transmission all night, and I think I may have ripped a couple of CD's as well. My Transmission download lost some of the file - I don't care though. As long as my Mac is fine.

Thanks!

Josh

17. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, I'll wait for precaution until it happens at lease one more time - Correct?

18. Cool6324 macrumors member

Yeah, but you can just run it if you want. It won't do anything to the computer, it's just a test. Your macbook is fine, don't sweat it and pretend it never happened ;).

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Kernel panics can be caused by all sorts of different things. It's always a good idea to work out the cause before starting a fix. In other words, a system reinstall will only help if the kernel panic is software based and not a conflict between a third party component and another aspect of your system. If it happens again, post your Console crash log(s) to see if anyone here can read what the problem might be. :)

20. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

MBP + 10.5 + Azureus here

Aint crashed once :/

Although it sometimes doesn't want to wake from sleep which is annoying to say the least.

21. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

Power to The People

Take it to the Apple store and let them figure it out. Don't accept sub-standard merchandise from anyone