macbook crashes w/leopard update...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by John1111, Jun 12, 2008.

1. John1111 macrumors newbie

basic problem:
    after upgrading to leopard, my 2007 macbook (specs below) crashes when i hook up firewire drives.

the story...
    My off-warranty macbook is crashing every time I hook up either one of my firewire drives (80gb lacie and 500gb wd). The ironic thing is that I just had an apple store "genius" look at it because it was crashing randomly (not in relationship to firewire drives). He suggested doing a clean install of leopard. I purchased leopard, backed up everything onto my 500gb firewire drive, installed leopard and then plugged the fw drive in to restore data and it instantly froze. i let it sit, hoping to see a spinning beach ball and then on with the show. nothing... i had to power down, restart and then it wouldn't re-boot (froze in mid-boot). i had to power down again and unplug the fw drive and only then would it fully boot (no problems or delay). I actually re-installed leopard (clean - erase/install) again just in case that was the issue. same problem. argh...

Any and all advice would be very much appreciated - thank you!

2007 macbook w/leopard 10.5.3
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
    SMC Version: 1.17f0

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I'm afraid that you may have a problem with the firewire interface on your computer, i.e. a hardware fault. It could possibly be a problem with the external drives, but as you're experiencing the same issue with both of them, it seems unlikely that two drives would fail at the same time.

3. John1111 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your help and the diagnosis!
    that's quite a bummer - is it fixable?
    any idea how much it might cost (gulp...)