Macbook crashing and rebooting, help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by heidiho, Oct 28, 2010.

1. heidiho macrumors newbie

I've had my Macbook (10.5.8) for over two years and have had no problems until recently. It's crashed twice in the past month, and before that (for a few months) it has been extremely slow. I've cleaned out everything I didn't need and placed most of my documents onto a external hard drive in hopes that this would speed things up - it has not.

When the thing crashes it basically reboots itself with out any warning, losing my data. Both times this has happened I had photoshop and Acrobat 6.0 Professional open (I've been editing photos of texts of my research and turning them into pdf - some of these files are quite large (400 colored pages) ie. 600mb). The system usually crashes and reboots while I am editing an unsaved pdf in Acrobat.

Has anyone had similar problems? Any advice?

Thanks!

2. vasanth4u macrumors member

vasanth4u

Have u tried performing a Archive and install , if it is the same after that backup the data and then format the Hard drive using disk utility Zero out data booting through the disks and then install the OS again -if it is the same then it could be a hardware issue ...

3. heidiho thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, I haven't tried anything yet, have been backing up my files. My concern with reformatting is that I will lose some applications that I don't have discs for - ie. Microsoft office (a friend installed it for me as one of her 3 installs and has since moved away).
    If I did the Archive and install, will I lose Microsoft office?

4. vasanth4u macrumors member

vasanth4u

HI

When we do a Archive and Install it would not delete Third party apps . But i recommended u to backup all the information and office before we perform anything .So that we are on the safer side .