MacBook Crew: I need your advice!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ViPa, Jan 15, 2008.

1. ViPa macrumors 6502a

alright, after waiting it out for macworld, im quite convinced the macbook air isnt for me..i dont need the extra portability/thinness and the multitouch trackpad is awesome, but not worth the heavy pricetag

ive decided to go for the white macbook with 2.2ghz 120gb hd and 1gb ram..its going to cost me $1,199 after my school discount..im going to instantly upgrade the ram to 4gb, but i refuse to pay apple's ram price..im thinking about getting it for much cheaper elsewhere..

1. where can i find inexpensive yet reliable ram?
    2. what does macrumors think of my decision?

2. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

1. G.Skill has been reliable, I get RAM from Newegg.
    2. Good choice!

3. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

I'm also in the same boat as I am now heavily leaning toward getting a Macbook after 4 frustrating years with a 10 pound vaio....the only thing I'm not happy about is the lack of LED screen in the Macbook and other perks like backlit keyboard, and even the fact that they are still using plastic....

It's a great machine, but it should have definitely gotten at least LED screens back in November....so good choice? Yeah I suppose....but the choice could have been sweeter to make. I'll go buy one but I won't be as happy and I wish I could be :(

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

1. The 17" MBP still uses LCD screens. I wouldn't call those obsolete. I think they'll come to the MB eventually, but definitely not before they're standard on all MBPs.

2. I'll honestly say I'm glad the MB comes without one. The MBA chiclet keys look horrendous; I think this was due to their trying to make them backlit-compatible. They probably aren't going to get these (unlike the LED screens), as it's a cheap and handy way of differentiating the lines.

3. They will *always* use plastic. It's one of the primary class differences between the MB and the MBP. This will never change. If it's keeping you from buying an MB, you should just get an MBP (don't waste money on an MBA), because the MBs aren't going to turn aluminum any time soon. Mark my words. :cool:

5. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

No it's not keeping me from getting one, just sort of thinking out loud wishing that they would drop the plastic like they did with the iMac....

6. ViPa thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the quick responses..i dont think the MBP is for me either..although id love to have the extra power, its way outta my budget