Macbook =D

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Coleys, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Coleys macrumors newbie

Coleys

Hey guys,

I am planning to purchase my first mac computer in the coming months, and I have a few questions.

Something I know for sure, is that I would like a 15" screen. The current laptop I own (the one I am typing this message on) is 17" and I do enjoy the real estate, but for my purposes taking it back and forth from home to school is getting quite old -- needless to say the things a beast. :p

Plain and simple, I would like a good computer. I have been looking over the available 15" MacBooks, and to be honest the appended 2.53Ghz, 2.66Ghz, 2.8Ghz really confuse me. I mean I understand these are the processors, I just basically would like to know how much difference in speeds I will experience across the three available.

Do MacBooks get really hot?

Is there anything else I should know before purchasing?

Really appreciate all the reply's. I might have more questions in the future.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

2. Surely Guest

Surely

What are you planning on doing with your MacBook Pro?

3. Coleys thread starter macrumors newbie

Coleys

Web surfing. I play the odd game every now-and-then(Steam Games are being developed for MAC). School. Playing with the iLife software. =P

4. Surely Guest

Surely

The lower-end 2.53 GHz model will be more than enough for your needs.

If you have the extra cash, it couldn't hurt for you to get one of the higher models, but if it were me, I'd get the 2.53 and use the extra cash on accessories.....

5. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

If you're planning on doing some gaming go with the 2.66GHz model. It comes with the 9600M GT where as the 2.53 only has the intergated 9400M which won't perform as well with games.

6. Coleys thread starter macrumors newbie

Coleys

So the 2.66 comes with both the integrated 9400 as well as the 9600M GT?

7. Perrumpo macrumors 68000

Perrumpo

Yeah, I'd go with the 2.66. The 2.53 is basically a 13" MBP in a 15" body. In other words, it's a little hobbled in the graphics dept.

Ignore the 2.8 for your needs. Apple is notorious for their highest processor not being worth the jump in price. When there's a mid-range option like the 2.66, it usually has other pros over the entry-level aside from just the processor speed. One of them is usually graphics, as is true in this case.

8. Coleys thread starter macrumors newbie

Coleys

Yeah thats where I gathered my information. I guess I should assume that the middle one will include both graphics cards from your response. Simply asked because I was unaware that a computer could house two of them.

@Perrumpo Thanks for you input. Definitly feel that mid-range is the best option for me.

Mac Buyers Guide suggests I wait until a newer model is released, and I'm definitely planning to do that. Hopefully its sooner rather then later, im psyched. =P

9. Mew2468 macrumors regular

On the higher end 15" and the 17" MacBook Pros, there's an option in the Energy Saver panel of System Preferences to let you decide between "better performance" and "better battery life". That's how you switch between graphic cards.

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yup, they can! Sony and Apple tend to be the two biggest manufacturers who include dual video cards for extended battery life. Having 2 video cards won't let you SLI them, however. I think only Alienware has (had?) that option.

11. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

gow with the 2.66, the the speed bump doesnt matter much but the 9600 GT is worth it.