Macbook damaged, need help please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by junkykid, Jan 24, 2008.

1. junkykid macrumors newbie

First of all, this is obviously my first post and I don't know for certain that I'm posting in the right board, so forgive me if I'm not.

Anyway, the problem is that I just spilled about a half glass of water on my Macbook. The screen first started blinking, it then had a quiet sizziling sound, and then turned off altogether. I unpluged everything and looked in the manual and took out the battery as it said.

After getting as much water out as I could and waiting a while I tried to put the battery back in and nothing worked.

I've looked at the warranty and it doesn't look like it will cover this, even though I've had the computer for less than a year. What I want to know is do you guys think it would be best to just contact Apple and send the computer back to them, or is there something else I should try to do in order to fix it?

Thanks so much for the help and if this is posted in the wrong place just let me know and I'll put it elsewhere. Sorry if I can't get back to questions tonight because I'm typing this in my school's library.

Thanks again.

2. tveric macrumors 6502

Wait a few days for it to completely dry out. Take it to an Apple store if you have one nearby and play dumb. Don't tell them anything about water. Just say "It wouldn't turn on today!" You'll probably get a new one for free, eventually.

Of course, if you decide to be honest (and some people do that), you'll end up paying an a$$load of money. Your choice.

3. McGiord, Jan 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I'll Try to open it and dry everything and evaluate the extend of the damage. If you can make all the water go away and it didn't suffered when you spill it and when tried to turn it on there is a chance to make it work.
    Otherwise sell it in eBay or craigslist and recover some money.
    ________
    silver surfer vaporizer

4. rogair macrumors member

Holy bad karma batman... When they open it to inspect the logic board, they WILL see the water damage, and you WILL be required to pay for a new one to get the machine back to working condition. Any good technician would check, but hey, you could get lucky.

5. junkykid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the ideas guys. Unfortunately there is no Apple store here in town, but I think I will take it to a service provider and see what they say about how much it would cost to fix. I know my dad will be pissed when I call him up for money for that one. :(