Macbook Dark Screen Problem!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DT1701, Sep 5, 2008.

1. DT1701 macrumors newbie

Hi there. I'm something of a Mac newbie. A friend asked me to change the screen on their Macbook after it had been dropped. I have since changed the screen somewhat successfully...

However after the screen lights up initially it goes very dark again after turning the Macbook on. You can see the desktop and things but it is so dark its useless. I have tried to fiddle with the brightness settings and interestingly, the screen lights up normally for about two seconds, then goes dark again. So because the screen does appear as it should briefly, I am at a complete loss whether it is hardware or software related! The fact that the screen does appear normally, although briefly, makes me think that all plugs/cables are in correctly etc...

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be going wrong? Any help would be great appreciated! I really don't want to have to take it to bits again! :eek:

Cheers.

John

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Take it in for repairs, definitely.

EDIT: You've taken it apart before? Could you have jammed any cables (video cable?) in the process?

3. DT1701 thread starter macrumors newbie

All the cables were fine when I put it back together. The screen however is an LG, the original broken one was a Chi Mei or something. Could this be the problem?

It's maybe had a harder fall than I imagined!

Thanks for the advice, any other thoughts anyone?

Dave

4. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

From what you're describing I'm finding it very hard to believe it's a software problem.. Sounds like something came loose inside the computer. It's hard to tell though, I'd definitely take it in to be on the safe side...finding the error doesn't sound easy at all.

I'll stand by to see if anyone has any alternate explanations... I'm getting curious myself

Oh, and if you take it in, let us know what the problem was =)