Macbook DD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by supergod, May 7, 2009.

1. supergod macrumors 6502

Heya, I couldn't help thinking about the 'unique' application of a laptop with Two D pads (ambidextrous? just all around better for gaming layout?) I've always found the D-Pad on my macbook pro lacking for games, not just because of the poor response time either: seriously, just try playing hellbeat on Flash Flash Revolution or Stepmania on this thing: good luck!

By moving the D pad further towards the corner, where the edges would be properly tapered ( I could not figure out how to make rounded corners. No wonder their designers are so well kept ;)) you could concievable hold the thing in your lap like an old school controller; especially key for playing emulated 16 bit games: in fact, maybe put some extra buttons on the side to take the place of the shoulder buttons.
    [​IMG]

Note: this would have an 8.5" screen, because 8" is good enough ;) In order to accomidate the added tininess the speakers would have to be positioned on the sides of the screen while the iSight is right where it belongs. Although theres definitely enoguh room for two lenses; maybe a stereoscopic 3D interface for lame games and less lame internet control with coverflow.

Oh, and if you're going to sell anything, might as well make it busty. Thus the name DD. Also stands for dumb drawing ;)

Oh, and the trackpad is white because multitouch should glow more.

PS: my biggest beef seriously with the Macbook has always been the placement of the magsafe. PLEASE Apple, move it to the back of the computer. For those of us who do the right thing and remove the battery when it is fully charged, it's such a pain to have a connector that comes out this easily and is also placed so near to a corner that the slightest tip or spin of the computer leads to shutdown. Plus, wouldn't it look so much more symetrical and Appley with the plug coming out of the center? Just like on the old iMac :D

Attached Files:

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I imagine it would be pretty tough to type with two d-pads in the way. Easier, would be to buy a USB controller that's reminiscent of a PS2/3 controller.

Also, a rear mounted port for anything isn't possible due to the hinge mechanism that Apple uses on all their laptops. On top of that, with Unibody models, when you run on A/C without the battery, they downclock the CPU to ~1Ghz to prevent issues with a power supply lacking the battery as a buffer.

3. supergod thread starter macrumors 6502

Since this is a fantasy wishlist anyways, how about a scratch resistant E ink screen, and a sliding mechanism so that you can carry it around with the screen out. I'd say make it touch, but that's getting so passe now (and who needs it when you've got 3D iSight and TWO D PADS!!!!!!!!)

any other suggestions for what you'd want from a teeny macbook, especially tuned towards gaming and multimedia?

And hopefully the engineering on the sliding mechanism could replace hinges, and thus back ports for all!

And to all a good night.

Ooh, only if its the batarang one ;)

But yeah, I politely disagree, but barring hand size. I have big hands, so I naturally rest my wrists on the area to the sides of the touchpad, and my fingers can reach the keys pretty easily. I dont know; do you put rest your wrists on the edge of the palm rest surface?

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The base of my hands sit about 1/2" from the edge, angled up. Thumb base about 1/2" and the outer base of my hand is about 1.5" up the palmrest. They pass right through those D-pads.

On an 8-10" netbook, my palm-bases virtually cover the palmrest area, and I don't have large hands by any measure.

5. supergod thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm... I see your point. Maybe there could be a mechanism so the D pad pops out from the bottom, along with whatever other things you want? Would be especially 'high tech' no? ;)

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Reminds me of this...

Quite possibly one of the funniest Apple mockups just as an aside...hahaha

Attached Files:

7. supergod thread starter macrumors 6502

Notice the beautiful organic lines and curves ;)

sigh[​IMG]

I would buy that Powerbook G5 in a second!

And in a minute, it would be on eBay ;)

The beauty of that Powerbook is it's anti-theft design. Firstly, no robber in their right mind would want to grab it (too hard to run away without throwing out ones back) and secondly, in a tussle you could just pummel the person (likely to death) with it. Of course it would have to come with a titanium handle! :rolleyes:

Attached Files: