MacBook Dead After RAM Upgrade???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joseph_68, Apr 22, 2007.

1. joseph_68 macrumors member

Well I am turning to the masses for some help with this mystery. I have a 1.83GHz MB Core Duo that came with the standard 2 x 256MB of RAM. I installed a 1GB in slot "1" and booted up the machine just fine. The MB recognized the new memory and slot postions. Thinking that I'd rather have the new bigger stick in slot "0", I reversed the two sticks, and that's when the trouble began... :mad:

For the last 2 hours I can't power this damn machine up. I tried several combinations and am sitting here with the original sticks installed, but it WILL NOT power up. Is this machine fried? Am I missing something? I have installed RAM for years on countless machines and have never encountered this! Please help - anyone? I am stressing big time!!!!

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You haven't pushed the RAM all the way into the socket. The MacBook and iMac intel RAM sockets are unlike any other laptop socket you have ever seen.

When you push it in initially, it goes in and goes 'thunk'. You might think it's in but it's not in.
    You have to put both thumbs on the RAM and push fairly hard, to seat it an additional 1/8" or so into the socket, so the pins make full contact.

This is a very, very common problem. I had one client install RAM for themselves 4 times, they were convinced the machine was broken. They brought it in, I pushed on the RAM, and it ran perfectly.

3. joseph_68 thread starter macrumors member

This is crazy! My fingers hurt so damn bad I can barely type. I tried and tried. I pushed those damn DIMMs in as far as they would budge. Still no luck. :confused:

4. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yes i ve heard of htis happening too, you really have to push them iiiiiin all the way....

5. joseph_68 thread starter macrumors member

Is there any way to use a tool or some sort of apparatus to push the chip in properly? I definitely hear the "click" on both slots, but no go...

6. lesbarn macrumors member

I would try this

I would eject the RAM and reseat each stick. Then I would reset the power management unit--pull battery hold down power key for five seconds put battery back in connect to power. I have had two machines stop working and after I reseated the RAM, they both worked again. Resetting the power management unit seems to be the first thing evey Apple tech wants a person to do. If this process does not work. I would reinstall the orginal RAM and see what happens. If all is normal, I would try the new RAM in your original working configuration.

7. joseph_68 thread starter macrumors member

C'mon Apple! WTF are you thinking? "Different"? That's an Understatement.

Well I genuinely thank you for all the advice everyone. After trying every possibility and losing lot's of sleep, I have had no luck. I am bringing the machine to the Apple Store to see what they can figure out. I am so very disappointed in the MacBook RAM slot design. While this design physically appears to look like it make sense, I believe that the "levers" and need to force the RAM into the machine beyond reasonable effort is just downright bad engineering and crappy design.

As a faithful Mac user and technical support staff member of 10+ years - I am totally disgusted with this issue (among several minor quirks I have forgiven - "mooooooo" anyone?). In contrast, the MacBook Pro offers users the traditional installation for RAM and it's as if Apple doesn't give a hoot about there "consumer" level machine. What a great way to shy away "switchers" who are used to upgading there own RAM! I can't say that I will recommend the MacBook to any potential "switchers" or anyone else in the near future. :mad:

8. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

For some reason there have been countless accounts of QC issues since the switch to intel.

9. gavd macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hear about your problems. The first RAM upgrade I ever did was in my MacBook and I had no issues whatsoever.

10. PDE macrumors 68020

I think the drop in quality happened with the last generation of powerbooks and the switch of manufacturing from Taiwan to China. Not that previous powerbooks didn't have issues, but it seems like quality was generally higher ad more consistent. At this point I think it's pure luck if you get a good one or not - there is always something not quite right. Here are some of the issues I've personally experienced with macbooks:

1. Squeaky hinges when you open the display (actually it's not the hinges, but the plastic of the bezel hitting the plastic of the main unit - just poorly assembled)
    2. popping keys
    3. loose front display bezel frame
    4. loud buzz from inside the main unit
    5. Sizzling sounds from the adapter
    6. Uneven display illumination
    7. mushy trackpad with no defined click (easily fixed with paper in the battery compartment, but come on!)
    8. whine from CPU - some worse than others
    9. poorly assembled top part (keyboard/palmrests) so that there are considerable gaps and waviness around the edge where it just wasn't pushed down enough during assembly
    10. Flaking surface on black macbook (not common but it happens and it ain't pretty)

Then of course design issues like the sharp edge and the cracking palmrests.

Each unit has a different problem = quality control is nil. I miss the old Apple, but then again Apple always had issues with its laptops and more often than not they were due to lack of foresight and fixation on form over function.

11. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    my Macbook has been flawless

sorry you guys have had such bad luck

12. drumforfun19 macrumors regular

drumforfun19

could it be that in order to make it more compact that they had to design a different RAM slot? I mean. I'm not sure, just throwing out ideas as to why it's like that.

Or maybe to make it a little more cheaper they went with a cheaper design?

13. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Wow... somebody's angry over the Ram slot design, but hey here's a thought... maybe you screwed it up?

14. joseph_68 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I hear ya. ha ha

15. Helianthus macrumors member

I know what you mean with these RAM slots...Very frustrating. I read about this before hand but I really had no idea until I did it how much you have to push it. My fingers were sore for days from putting new RAM in...At least it didn't kill my machine though.

16. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

In my experience (and my sisters) the last gen powerbooks were rock solid.. ours are made in china, I think the serious problems started w/ intel macbooks.

17. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I have the same MacBook model as you and recently upgraded to two gigs of memory. Mine also did not start up. The problem was that the metal piece that covers the RAM slots and harddrive was not fully in place. I took a credit card and pushed the squishy grey material down so that it would fit properly. This worked and it powered on fine.

18. PDE macrumors 68020

Yes, that's exactly the problem: when you buy an apple product it's not enough to pay a premium - you also need a fair share of luck - to get a product that is what it should be given the price.

19. drumforfun19 macrumors regular

drumforfun19

I haven't had any major problem with any of my Apple products.

20. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

mine worked perfectly. I pushed them in with one of those big fat flat carpenter's pencils.

i'd heard the problems with other people's sore tired thumbs.

21. DaLurker macrumors 6502

You know... that's the reality with manufacturing. You can spend $230 million on a Boeing 747 and its going to have flaws. The reality is a higher cost product doesn't imply a lower number of defects. In fact, higher cost usually leads to more cutting edge technologies which implies more necessary repairs (people that drive 7series BMW's can probably tell you, electronically controlled sway bars?! :|)

Anyways I'm not sure you should accept this, but its a reality. The good thing is at least Apple's got fairly good customer service.

22. PDE macrumors 68020

Yes, they have very good customer service - that's the saving grace. I don't really accept it because I don't really see that the macbook is cutting edge. MacOS maybe, but not the macbook. Not anymore. I stay with Apple only because of the OS at this point...

23. joseph_68 thread starter macrumors member

Had my appointment at the Apple Store. Sure as heck it was the right RAM slot (slot 0) that caused the problem. Apparently the power is routed past that part of the logic board, right next to that damn slot. The slot is located so close that the slightest bit of stress in removing the original stick and installing the new one caused the connection to fail. I am guessing they have seen this before on these Rev. A MB LB's.

I have been supporting Macs for close to ten years and have performed literally hundreds of RAM upgrades on pretty much every make and model; iBooks, PowerBooks mostly. I am disappointed that the logic board was a timebomb, but happy to say that Apple is replacing it under the warranty. And to make the story just a bit funnier, the tech (genious) said that the RAM was indeed installed properly! :rolleyes: I'll have the machine back from repair before end of the week. Thanks for the suggestions and responses all.

24. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Hey that's good to hear! Glad you got things sorted out.

25. joseph_68 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! It's a heck of a lot of stress of my mind. Although I thre my own little "tantrum" over the issue, I must say that Apple treated me like a VIP and and with the quick repair turnaround I couldn't be happier. Heck, the machine is my wife's MB that she wanted when they first came out. I however waited until the early Fall to buy my Black MB to reduce the chances of any "Revision A" nonsense like this! Heh

Anyway, I take back my comment about "not recommending the MB" to anyone in the near future. I will recommence my mission to help Windoze brainwashed friends and coworkers to see the light - LOL