Macbook dead after RAM upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by huntert93, Aug 10, 2010.

1. huntert93 macrumors newbie

So I recently bought more RAM for my macbook (2007 model). I am 100% sure it is the right RAM. Anyways, I put it in my computer and got the blinking "on" light (which I read later was a sign that the RAM was not pushed in hard enough). Since I didn't have access to another computer, I thought this was a problem and decided to put the old RAM back in the computer. However, after this, the computer didn't start up at all - no blinking light, nothing - just completely unresponsive when I try to turn it on. However, the magsafe adapter light still turns green when I plug it into the computer, which gives me a little bit of hope.

I have tried pushing the original RAM in harder to no luck. Is it possible I fried my computer by static electricity? I made sure to touch a metal surface both outside and inside the computer each time I was dealing with RAM. However, I do have a carpet floor so I know those can build up static electricity.

Also, if static electricity was indeed the culprit, is there any way to get my macbook functioning again?

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Well that's not good...If your old RAM is pushed back in fairly hard enough, it wouldn't be the RAM. Since you were on a carpet floor, it might have messed up something with your logic board...so you can't even turn it on if I understand correctly, but the maglite is lit?

3. huntert93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes exactly, when I press the power button nothing happens at all; however, the magsafe lights up when I plug it into the computer. Also, the battery lights up when I press the button (although I think it does this just to show how much charge is left in it).

4. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

hmm...that does sound kinda like it would be a board problem...I might suggest saving yourself a bunch of headache and taking it into a genius. Unless you're like me, where the closest genius is 3 1/2 hours away :/