Macbook dead?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kasmokia, Oct 6, 2011.

1. kasmokia macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I am new here so I will apologize before hand if this is in the wrong forum or completely inappropriate but I have a problem with my macbook.

OK so last night I updated somethings on my mac book pro (April 2011). It was an EFI 2.2 update and some thunderbolt support thing. I had been putting it off for a while so i decided to update. It clicked update, everything downloaded, and everything installed (the progress bar went all the way), then suddenly my mac book makes a very loud beep and suddenly turns black. Then the fans start going crazy, spinning as fast as they can. I knew there was a problem but I still let it sit in that state for about 10 minutes. After that, I held down the power button for about 10 seconds to turn it off. Now every time I try to turn it on, all i get is a black screen and loud fan noise.

I tried holding control, alt, and shift with the power button then the power button to turn it on but that doesn't work. My question: I think my friend installed a pirated version of lion os (I paid him $30 to install it, since i don't have a credit card and cant buy things off the apple store). If I send my laptop in for repairs through apple, will they be able to tell I am using a pirated version of lion? and will there be any consequences? (void warranty? or anything)

Please help, I would greatly appreciate any comments

Thanks

2. randomrazr macrumors 65816

was it pluged in?

take it to the apple store and say it wont turn on and they will diagnose it from there. if they find it isnt a licenced version of lion i suppose they will make u pay 30 bucks for a legit copy

there isnt much we can do here....

u could try slapping in the restore discs that came with it assuming u can get it to atleast fire up

3. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Just take it to the Apple Store. Odds are, they won't notice a pirated version of Lion anyway. It's not like Microsoft where it's front-and-center if it's not "genuine". Take it in, let them fix it, don't worry about it.

4. Takashi macrumors regular

You dare to pirate apple software!? Hahaha. (Evil laugh)

I am sorry to hear that your MBP didn't work. Best to take it to apple store.

5. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

shoulda got a debit card. works the same way;)

6. kasmokia thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, just as an update to anyone interested: My mac was dropped off at the Apple store and they had it fixed in 3 days. They replaced the logic board. It would have been $500 but luckily it was under warranty. So my question is: is it impossible to update EFI with a pirated version of Lion?

7. rono macrumors newbie

mac book pro dead

Hi just read the mac book dead script
    I had an update yesterday and my macbook just died no power lights when plugged into the mains any thoughts.
    I had TomTom plugged in for any map updates Tom tom is fine.thought it might have been charging tom tom