Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Ok I will keep it breif, any advice appreciated.

1. Six months ago in Thailand MacBook just cut out. Rebooted and had that flashing folder with a question mark. This was all that happened. Did not have OSX discs to run check on HD. Shipped MacBook home.

2. Arrived back in UK. Now Screen will not appear, it flashes for a fraction of a second before switching off. Blank screen is all I get apart from this.

3. Changed HD with my friends from a MacBook Pro. Same thing happened, nothing basically.

4. Put OSX Disc in, now will not eject. I notice that if I let the system boot, I can' say for sure whats happening but the green lights for the capital button etc do not work. Infact I'm pretty sure the Keyboard is not working.

5. There is no sound at start up.

- What's up? Sounds pretty serious! Tempted to bin it and buy a new one, but maybe its fixable? It's possible it got a battering during shipping...

Any ideas welcome.

Ross

Moocher

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
NE Atlanta area
It does sound serious. Probably the logic board, but there are others here who might know more specifically.

It would help others make suggestions if you indicated how old the macbook is, whether you have apple care, RAM, etc.

Mooch

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Hmm it was one of the original Intel MacBooks (white). So what, around 3 years? No Apple care...

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
It does sound like the logicboard - which means you are looking at around £200-250 to repair something worth around £300-350.....

Please don't bin it though - if you want rid of it please PM me - where in the UK are you ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.