Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squirrelflight

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
I like using decals on my mac, lately I've been using a cute decal of Pikachu where it looks like it's holding the mac apple. I've used this decal for probably a year, occasionally removing and switching colours.

But I noticed today when removing it when I washed the laptop case I saw the imprint of the Pikachu on the mac. I only see the imprint when you wash the top case with some water, otherwise the imprint is invisible. Is there any way to remove the imprint, or is the imprint there forever?

I'm gonna put on a new sticker anyway and my mac is 3 years old so whatever. But just wondering is there a way to remove the imprint off?

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
There is likely some residue left on the metal casing from the adhesive, that is catching or repelling the water, I would try something like GooGone. I seriously doubt the surrounding aluminum faded darker.

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
There is likely some residue left on the metal casing from the adhesive, that is catching or repelling the water, I would try something like GooGone. I seriously doubt the surrounding aluminum faded darker.

This. Especially if you're only seeing it when the case is wet, it's because there is some residue that is either repelling or attracting water differently than the metal case is. GooGone should do the trick, but you may want to test it on a small spot on the bottom first to make sure it doesn't damage the case (it shouldn't, but better safe than sorry).

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Materials naturally darken over time with wear, oils on your hands and particles in their air cause darkening on surfaces, your sticker prevented this from happening. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.