MacBook Dedicated Graphics?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ENY7, Sep 21, 2008.

1. ENY7 macrumors newbie

What are the chances of the MacBook getting dedicated graphics?
    The main thing I'm seeing is the fact that OSX 10.6 is due to come out here in about a year and would they really produce a laptop that cannot access all the abilities of OpenCL?
    Thats almost the same as all the "Vista-ready" laptops that companies made and killed MS.

2. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Tell me more about the MacBook not being able to access the abilities of Grand Central.

4. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

It will be able to even w/o dedicated graphics.

5. ENY7 thread starter macrumors newbie

My Apologies, used the wrong part of Snow Leopard...

OpenCL
    Another powerful Snow Leopard technology, OpenCL (Open Computing Language), makes it possible for developers to efficiently tap the vast gigaflops of computing power currently locked up in the graphics processing unit (GPU). With GPUs approaching processing speeds of a trillion operations per second, they’re capable of considerably more than just drawing pictures. OpenCL takes that power and redirects it for general-purpose computing.

Intel's graphics share power the onboard CPU, how would they be able to access OpenCL?

6. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I don't see it happening anytime soon either. Apple won't be able to keep the same price point and profit margin if they did this on the MacBook. There are reasons other than Grand Central to update and sell MacBooks with 10.6.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

So the 8 dedicated unified shaders on the GMA X3100 can't be used?

8. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Well, you have to ask yourself, what separates a MacBook from a Macbook Pro then, as far as, hardware differences; if and when Apple did give us a MacBook that had integrated graphics (something with it's own set of memory).

Right now, the only thing separating the MacBook from the Pro, is the GeForce 8600M GT Mobile graphics card, faster firewire, multi-touch on the Pro trackpad, the ability to run a DVI-D cable straight to your monitor, and a bigger screen / better design.

With the newly designed MacBooks, we could be getting an aluminum shell design, HDMI capabilities (assuming we're getting at least GMA x4500), and multitouch.

That's a lot of "if's," but the MacBook is looking more and more attractive, as far as pricing goes, if it's going to get a much much more capable graphics card.

Why would I get a Pro, other than the FireWire 800 and bigger screen then? Maybe they'll just eliminate the MacBook Pro nomenclature and it'll just be the bigger slightly more capable MacBook :3, that's assuming that the Macbook is going towards the same sort of tapered off design that the MacBook Air design has.

9. wesg macrumors regular

wesg

I would sell my GMA950 MacBook in favor of a dedicated graphics card MacBook in a second if Apple released them.

10. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem